How to Apply for a Trust? Please help....

LDhunter

OK... So I'm finally done stalling after several frustrating years of waiting for the laws to change.

I keep hearing about a trust and that it's the way to go and I DO want my GF to be able to keep or to sell my suppressor(s) after I'm gone if she wants.

How do I go about setting up a trust? Talk to me like I'm a six year old... ABC... 123...

Thanks,
$bob$

Call or go to silencershop.com, they have templates you can purchase at different price points. I had a local attorney write me one up that was fairly elaborate including my Dad, Bro, and two Sons, basically keeping the cans in our family for a few more generations. Cost me about 300.00

Originally Posted By: skinneyCall or go to silencershop.com, they have templates you can purchase at different price points. I had a local attorney write me one up that was fairly elaborate including my Dad, Bro, and two Sons, basically keeping the cans in our family for a few more generations. Cost me about 300.00

Thanks Skinny!!!

Originally Posted By: LDhunterOriginally Posted By: skinneyCall or go to silencershop.com, they have templates you can purchase at different price points. I had a local attorney write me one up that was fairly elaborate including my Dad, Bro, and two Sons, basically keeping the cans in our family for a few more generations. Cost me about 300.00

Thanks Skinny!!!

Anytime!!!

Originally Posted By: reb8600Did mine with a local lawyer for $150

So is it called an NFA Gun Trust? Is that what you ask for lawyer to draw up? I have an attorney that has set up my estate that is pretty savvy but I want to be sure that he understands what I want.

Link I posted makes it really easy $99 you have it in a day or two, support you after the fact with questions. This is the easy part, filling out the forms, getting fingerprints ect. Is the pain.

OK... I'm ready to contact all the people mentioned and to get my trust set up but I'm confused on the proper order to do things in.

Do I set up my trust first?

Do I buy a suppressor after I get my trust approved and the necessary papers in hand?

What is the long wait that I hear about? Is that for the trust to be approved or for each item to be approved?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but maybe others that are new to this will benefit from this thread.

BTW... Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate all the support and information in this thread about this very confusing process of obtaining a suppressor or any other NFA item which should be covered under our constitution anyway and which has been subverted by liberal politicians.

You set the trust up first. The trust is the entity that is buying the suppressor. Not you.

You can list only yourself on the Trust to begin with. That way only you will need to be fingerprinted and have a photo taken. Once the stamp comes back, then add your trustees. No fingerprints/photos needed. This does not mean that an individual that does not qualify to own/possess a suppressor/gun can now possess the suppressor. My Trust specifically say that if someone is disqualified, they are immediately removed from the trust. IE: domestic violence.

No one "approves" the Trust. Well, the notary that witnesses your signature on it I guess approves it. But they don't read it to see if it is correct. This is why you don't want to use something like a trust form from OfficeMax/Staples. When you need the Trust to stand up in court (upon your death) you want it to be right. Likewise, the BATFE does not see if the Trust is legal.

The ones that dealers may offer have likely been written by a lawyer in your state. The dealer likely paid the lawyer a one time fee or maybe a per trust fee.

The long wait is when the dealer sends the paperwork off to the BATFE and you wait for the Form 4 with the stamp on it to be returned to them.

http://www.terma-nator.com/images/guns/Stamped-atf-form4-Uzi.jpg

I looked into the trust. Glad I just did an individual form 4, 8 months.
I have a form 1 in now. Should see it back in June.
I like simple. When, I die I will let them worry about it.

I already have a Revocable Trust set up for my home, business, vehicles, etc. Can this be used for suppressors or is the NFA Trust a special breed?

Originally Posted By: dukxdogI already have a Revocable Trust set up for my home, business, vehicles, etc. Can this be used for suppressors or is the NFA Trust a special breed?

As I mentioned above, a NFA trust has provisions that if someone is found to be unable to own/possess a gun/suppressor, they are immediately removed from the trust. You may not want that person removed from your "family" trust.

Thus, it is not advisable to have NFA items in a trust for other purposes.

OK... Once again I have put off applying for a trust and then going through the long wait time to get a suppressor and before I took the plunge I thought I'd google "Florida NFA" and I found several links to law firms that offer NFA trusts for as little as $49 which, of course, sounded good.

I clicked on the link for the cheapest which was $49 and in their blah blah advertisement they mentioned cost for changes to the trust. They even mention "Free Revisions for Life" if you use them.

AHA!!!!! Something I never thought about and of course I don't anticipate many changes but if I DO in fact have to make changes I wouldn't want to pay a lot of money to make those changes.

Here is a link to their website and if you scroll down a bit you can see what I mean. What do y'all think? Is this an issue with some or maybe most law firms that offer NFA trusts?
https://www.thetrustshop.net/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrKra2IOj3AIVk1uGCh2gZgzgEAAYBSAAEgKH_fD_BwE

There is not really many changes you should ever have to make other than adding or removing co trustees. My trust is set up that I can do that myself.

A lot of the trusts are done over the Internet and email. Ask what format in which the product will be delivered to you. Mine came in .pdf format. I had to sign up for a trial version of Adobe Acrobat DC just to change a word or two, then cancel it immediately. I still get emails years later asking me to re-instate it (Adobe Acrobat DC). You cannot edit a .pdf with just the reader. It was a huge hassle.
Had the document been delivered in .doc (Word) format, it would have been easy to do, as many people have access to a Microsoft word processor.

Back