22lr Scope recommendation

After getting my Marlin 880 back from Class 3 machining to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor, I had to remount my scope.

I finally got a chance to get out shooting. But after 25 years, I think my Tasco finally crapped out on me. I checked my mounts, re cleaned the gun, shot with and without a suppressor, and I tried 6 different types of ammo (supers and subs). I was all over. I even checked the crown, but that’s fine too.

So I’m in the hunt for a new scope. My current scope is a Tasco 3-9x33 and I’d like to stay with at least that power, but could go to a 40mm objective. I’m willing to pay for quality since this gun gets used a lot for squirrels, rabbits, and paper.

If you have a chance to look through one of these, I believe you
will be amazed:
https://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/Scopes/92/brands_88

I couldn't believe the clarity after getting one for a springer.
Then got another for an M60 and am shopping for another for an
XT22. Very impressed with these tough scopes and cannot impress
enough about their clarity.

UPDATE: Seeing anything I wanted was on back order or up for
pre-order, I ended up ordering this:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-optics-talos-4-16x40-side-focus-riflescope.html
I'm getting the mil-dot model. From reviews, CS is as good as
Vortex and one review stated that the clarity was even better
than Nikon. I have a Buckmaster and clarity is great. If the
Talos is better yet....winner, winner!

Last edited:
Any chance you have iron sights on it also? If it shot just fine before any work done to it, and now it shoots like crap, i would try iron sights just to eliminate the poss that something is off with the rifle for sure. Get some decent groups at 50 yards or so, then throw on a scope to hunt with.

Whats your budget for a scope? Paying for quality is really objective! Could be anything from another tasco to s&b depending on who you ask. What features do you want in it also? Ffp, illuminated, mil/moa dots?

I’m ok with paying for quality, within reason. For this 22, I would go up to $300.

I’m looking for a pretty standard set-up, sfp, fine crosshairs. This gun is for plinking and hunting, so it doesn’t have to be “tactical”.

For plinking and hunting, i like one that you can dial ranges for your round. I use my 17 hmr for the same purpose but been looking at getting a 17 wsm instead, since im not eating any of the game im shooting. I have a bsa sweet .17 6-18x40 on my hmr and its been pretty good to me. Pretty sure they make a sweet .22 also. Go with a lower power than 18 from bsa though. Glare gets pretty noticable shooting towards the sun at higher power. Prob be half your budget for a scope.

Cant go wrong with leupold, like said many times. I also just got an athlon argos btr for my 204, but a talos would prob be nice for that rifle. Or even a talos btr if you do decide on more bells and whistles. Worth a look at least i would say. Now that i look back, danno was obviously impressed with what he found!

Originally Posted By: 000shockNow that i look back, danno was obviously impressed with what he found!

Yet to be determined for certain. It's on it's way so I'll
report after receiving it.

Originally Posted By: Mark JoeTake a look at the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO. I have this on a CZ 452 and it's a great scope.

Amazon

I have two of these scope and they have been great!

Originally Posted By: B23I've always thought the Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 was a perfect match on a 22lr.

That is what is on my 77/22. Gloss to match the nice blueing and the gloss walnut.
tongue_smilie.gif

Weaver v16 and send it back for the varminter reticle or you can get it already in the V24. I have the v24 and find it just right for paper and hunting, but wish it was in the v16.

Clearidge optics are also worth a look.

The sightron s1 3-9x32 rimfire has a xhair that is thinner than the average duplex, but not a fine xhair. Could be a good compromise for hunting and paper.

Got the Athlon Talos 4-16x40 side focus yesterday. Wooo-wooo! It's
everything I could hope for as far as clarity. Unlike too many scopes
with mil-dot, the X-hairs are pretty fine and will not cover small
bulls-eyes.

Will be checking it out when it is not so windy.

Depends on your needs. My "precision" .22, CZ453 Varmint which I feed match ammo, wears a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9. It's almost overkill for a .22 but works great out to 300 yards. I've put the same scope on a buddy's 300WM.

I just bought my third Cabelas 2X7 for my kids' .22s. For that application they work great and I've had no issues.

Originally Posted By: B23I've always thought the Leupold Vari X-II 2-7x33 was a perfect match on a 22lr.

You bet. I believe that just about any quality 2-7X is super for most all .22 rifles. I have a 35 year old Redfield Widefield on my 40+ year old 10/22 and just think that's a perfect combo.

Back