Just a Bit of Random coyote talk..

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name Yep pretty stuff there.

Personally although I call only I have zero problem In pressured areas if they need to use snowmobiles and it’s legal. Why not when the goal is getting population down. They use planes and helicopters with shotgunners in the states. I personally knew a guy that shot 100+ a year with a 12gauge. He drove his pickup after they in large corn fields and hopped out of truck when they started to bounce. He knew that meant they were turning. Had it down to an art. Don’t think I don’t respect coyotes, I just think when they are hurting ranchers or natural big game populations. Have at’r with whatever that’s legal. Sure wish we were allowed silencers and thermal vision. That technology is amazing.

Yup no doubt about it they are a danger to other wildlife ..I found this youtube video ..I've no idea where it is filmed in newfoundland but i have an idea that its close to my area..takes a while but the gentleman shows why they are a danger to our native caribou population. At (7:59+) -VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED if you click the link.

Last edited:
Buggers.

Not a lot of native big timber around to build hunting stands but I think they might help. Sks would be a pretty good rig for that type of hunting.

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name Buggers.

Not a lot of native big timber around to build hunting stands but I think they might help. Sks would be a pretty good rig for that type of hunting.

SKS worked pretty good in a wooded area, I got one coyote in a rock quarry 110 yard shot and the other was on a bog from the above pictures I posted thats one was just 30 yards ..my SKS has good accuracy for that type of gun I use Hornady ammunition ..some people say well why use it for short range when you can use a shotgun ..i just say "cause i like it...and a shotgun cant reach out to 200 yards" lol..i was tempted to take it out today for a setup..my Moose license is still good for another 3 days so would have been alright..but i took the scope and rings off and put a reddot on it ..and discovered i left it turned on for a year and ran the special battery down..so i tried to install my old scope from the Savage Axis i had previously owned..couldnt use it ..scope rings were too low and the scope bell was touching the gun..so i gave up the idea for the day..on the brightside ill be off to work in alberta soon so if everything works out ill be able to get another Gun for next year..what to get though is the problem..i found the the 22-250 expensive to shoot..

Last edited:
Some homemade equipment I acquired for the winter coyote Season $50 a pair Bear Paw's they are called around these parts been used for years..To bad they dont come in a choice of camo color!!!

Last edited:
Pick up a set of GV widetrails if you ever see them on sale. Lifetime warranty. I tracked full time 6 winters and they were awesome.

Other rounds will only be slightly cheaper. 22-250 is hard to beat. You seem like you’d take to reloading pretty easily. Makes it cheaper. But makes you shoot more so.....

Originally Posted By: Displayed NamePick up a set of GV widetrails if you ever see them on sale. Lifetime warranty. I tracked full time 6 winters and they were awesome.

Other rounds will only be slightly cheaper. 22-250 is hard to beat. You seem like you’d take to reloading pretty easily. Makes it cheaper. But makes you shoot more so.....

lol those homemade ones are tried a true right and right up there with the Inuit ones crafted with caribou hide for the mesh..except these are made with lobster pot and gill net twine and steel wire as the frame..every woodsman on the island has a pair ...Unless your from St.Johns ..then you would have a fancy aluminium pair that costs a fortune haha!!

I was Actually eyeballing the T/C Venture in either .223 or .22-250...Think it may come in .204 but not sure..the only one i see for sale is the winter Camo one..but I know it comes in hardwoods and black finish as well..but no store carries it here.
As for Re-loading...yeah i thought of it..theres a little handloader i was looking at just need dies and some minor gear to get started..bullets are pretty good priced and so are primers...but the Powder...cost a arm and a leg to buy..I think the sports store guys would rather we bought ammo then sell us fair priced bottles of powder..everything on the Island is marked up 100% to 200% more just because we live on a island and they have to ship stuff in..
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/71452/[beeep]...ummaryContainer
https://www.amazon.ca/Lee-Precision-Bree...=lee+hand+press

Last edited:
Yes those are nice rifles. I had one in .22-250 that I got off cgn just for the scope it had. Shot some handloads from another gun and shot minute of fist at 450yds. I really like how those feel, they are just comfortable.

Yes powder is through the roof. Everything is up but reloading is worth it. Another option is buying bulk .223 ammo pulling the bullets(say fmj) and replacing with better ones.

Canadian gun nutz equipment exchange is pretty much the only place I buy scopes, guns, stocks, powder etc. There is great deals in the used market. It’s a pain I remember to get approved on the equipment exchange but worth it.

We have snowshoes like the ones you showed and they are fine for compacted snows and no trees but nothing compares to Gv widetrails for deep powder and going through bush all day. They are made so branches can’t get stuck in holes, bindings don’t break.

Last edited:
Back