boyds stock colors?

ohihunter2014

I am in the process of ordering a boyds classic in nutmeg but i keep seeing different colors throughout the internet. Boyds website used to show them as a yellowish, orange color and other websites show it the same color but today it shows they are a deep brown color that looks way better. I am also interested in pepper but some of the pictures i have seen have too much black and it may as well be a black stock. Anyone have any experience with these colors? care to share a pic?

Dark color
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid-fire/savage-110-featherweight-thumbhole-left-hand-stock51543
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/rapid-fire/savage-10-prairie-hunter72ef6
Lite color
https://www.opticsplanet.com/boyds-hardw...ction-rifl.html

The pepper laminate is a very nice looking stock. They're black but IMO very classy looking. I like them. The nutmeg should be more brown/tan than yellowish. Just throwing it out there, the camo laminate is a nice looking stock also.

I have one Boyd's stock in painted black and the other is what they call Coyote Laminate. The Coyote Laminate is on my CZ 527 Varmint 204 and looks pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieI have a nutmeg it is a brown orange color, I like the pepper better but nutmeg is still nice looking.

Would you mind sharing a pic? If not no problem.
smile.gif

I really like the traditional look of the brown but not the orange color.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf you like the traditional look, you might go walnut. They look good too.

I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible and the laminate would be the ticket.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieHere is a pic of the stock in evening sun. It is pretty true to the real color.
2168.jpg

Thanks! Classic or Prairie hunter?

It came on a used rifle, but I'm guessing prairie hunter. It has the varmint barrel channel, and wide forend. The Boyd's recoil pad is the only identifying mark on the stock.

Boyds doesn't even offer that stock any more for a BDL or ADL. Tactical, thumbhole and the act one or whatever its called is all the are offering for heavy barrel rifles. I like that style on your rifle DH.

The laminated stocks do no take stain well at all. I took an ok looking stock from a Ruger and turned it the color of a150 year old family relic trying. I would not recommend any stains or oils on laminates. The epoxy impregnates the wood and seals the grain.

Darkening the nutmeg could be spotty, and it would require you to order it unfinished. They use one of two finishes, one a satin polyurethane sealant and the other a high gloss polyurethane. Neither will let your tru-oil reach the wood where it needs to be. Even unfinished, it’s still plywood, so it may not absorb the oil consistently, dependent upon the laminating glue in the grain along the stock.

The Ruger Savage 12 BVSS and VLP-DBM Varminter, and Ruger 10/22T’s are in nutmeg stocks. There is some variability in color from stock to stock, and yes, some will be a darker brown while some are a lighter blondish Brown. All of them look nice to me. I haven’t ever gotten a “black” pepper, but I have gotten a couple darker than others - and worse - lighter than I wanted. Even within the colors, you’ll find lighter and darker versions. I have one purple “royal” which is almost a dark blue, whereas another is a vibrant royal purple as it should be.

Maybe they changed their pricing, but when they released the walnut stocks, they were as cheap or cheaper than any of the laminate options. Not great quality walnut, of course, so I wouldn’t buy one myself - I’d opt for the color.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieIt came on a used rifle, but I'm guessing prairie hunter. It has the varmint barrel channel, and wide forend. The Boyd's recoil pad is the only identifying mark on the stock.

Not sure which model that is, but probably discontinued or
possibly a special run. I can tell you that the one pictured is
not a prairie hunter because I have one and it does not have the
beaver-tail forend design.

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieIt came on a used rifle, but I'm guessing prairie hunter. It has the varmint barrel channel, and wide forend. The Boyd's recoil pad is the only identifying mark on the stock.

Does it have slot in the forearm

Originally Posted By: willy1947Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieIt came on a used rifle, but I'm guessing prairie hunter. It has the varmint barrel channel, and wide forend. The Boyd's recoil pad is the only identifying mark on the stock.

Does it have slot in the forearm

No, there is not a slot on the forearm. Is that unique to a certain kind of stock? Your Savage stock is a beauty, how do you like that style of grip?

Last edited:
Back