Favorite AR trigger

I use a Hyperfire trigger on my general purpose AR - but always looking for something else to try. I use a two stage Geissele trigger on my longer range ARs - I like the feel and control of that - any other thoughts?

Last edited:
I like the RRA triggers. Either the National Match or the Varmint. Throw a set of JP springs and they are even better.
I have a Hyperfire 24E which is fine for blasting, but I get double taps when doing precision work from a bench with a slow deliberate squeeze. Seems to be a somewhat common issue from what I have read.

Just call up SnowmanMo and have him send you one from Predator Technology Group. You support a site sponsor, get to talk to the Fox Whisperer, and get a great trigger at a very fair price.

Hyper fire 24 3g -- 115.00 at brownels ? last i looked. Only used it calling coyotes and have the 2.5 # springs in it. Pretty crisp, i got another for my next ar. Had a few light stikes with jp springs and stock trigger.

Does anyone use or have a rise armament super sport trigger? I see they are on sale at browells and it looks like a good deal. I’m also in the market for a good and reasonably priced trigger.

Originally Posted By: HcboyDoes anyone use or have a rise armament super sport trigger? I see they are on sale at browells and it looks like a good deal. I’m also in the market for a good and reasonably priced trigger.
The 3g is the best are trigger I've felt.

Rock River National Match
Timney
Geissele 3gun

Hyperfire triggers??? Joe-Bob's & Brownell's are selling them off.

I have learned that items that go on sale are not always the best thing to buy.

I traded out my 4.5lb POF trigger which was awesome and crisp for a lighter pull. I put in a 3 lb timney. It shrunk my 100 yard groups from .4" to cloverleaves.

My personal opinion is that Hiperfire offers the best trigger on the market. IMO, they feel like a Timney but have more hammer energy. They are the best of both worlds for my use.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Rock River National Match
Timney
Geissele 3gun

Hyperfire triggers??? Joe-Bob's & Brownell's are selling them off.

I have learned that items that go on sale are not always the best thing to buy.

No offense, but you probably should do more research before you throw out baseless claims as fact.

#1: Geissele (which you listed above) undercuts their dealers every national holiday by selling their products very cheap. They've sold their products to retail consumers cheaper than distributors buying $100k/yr could buy them at. With that logic, you should always avoid Geissele?

#2: Rock River (which you listed above) has discounted their triggers numerous times and undercut dealers. With that logic, you should always avoid Rock River?

#3: Timney never undercuts their dealers and doesn't ever really blow anything out

#4: Hiperfire is switching over from 2017 inventory (which is being blown out now at discounted prices) to 2018 inventory which is trickling into retailers now. The larger Hiperfire dealers (Brownells, and JoeBob's, for example) purchased large quantities of the closeout inventory at discounted wholesale prices and discounted it to consumers. Hiperfire never undercuts their dealers and isn't blowing out inventory because they have to. They're doing it as they're upgrading/changing product lines.

There's so many out there now. Very few people have tried more than a couple I suspect, given the cost of them. So when someone asks which is best, I tend to stay out of the discussion since I don't honestly know and I doubt very many others do either. To those that have tried a bunch, I'm all ears. But since you asked what is our favorites, well that I can share. Any you choose are going to be an upgrade from stock as you know. The Hiper-Fire seem like a good value.

Me? I've been using the RRA national match for years and have no reason to switch. After using a buddies Geissele several years ago, I figured out how to make the RRA better. I change the trigger and disconnector springs to JP, but leave the hammer spring alone as I want all the speed and power on the hammer I can get, and it doesn't change pull weight much at all on these. You can trim the disconnector spring and test through trial and error till you get a very light second stage pull. I've got mine at 1.25 to 1.5 lb on each stage, and it works well for me. No malfunctions or doubling etc, at all. I tend to take up the first stage and hold till the sight picture is perfect then it's a very light break. I did blow a shot on a close coyote this fall due to squeezing too early but that was all me losing discipline, not the trigger's fault.

I've owned a heck of a lot of AR triggers both single and 2 stage including Geissele Hi Speed National Match & SSA-E, Larue MBT, AR Gold, Elftmann Match, Rise Armament, JMT Saber and Jard.

I've also shot several other brands including Hyperfire, Wilson & RRA National Match.

Triggers are highly subjective but I'll say this, Hyperfire is way down on my list of good AR triggers.

I haven't tried a lot of triggers, but Im liking my hyperfire 3g better than my rra varmint and geissele ssa. So I guess it is personal preference.

I have a timmney in my 6.5 Grendel ar that I really like. light single stage. I also have a rock river ar I bought used. so I think its a rra trigger but not sure. its super light and nice, sometimes too light. if I am shooting groups I have to load one round at a time or it will sometimes bumpfire when your on sandbags and ruin your group.
But If you are not looking for a super light trigger pull but want an affordable much better than stock trigger I don't think you can go wrong with the ruger 452. they are about 4.5 lbs but are nice a crisp with no creep. and for $140 they are more affordable than some of the high dollar triggers. If your building a gun for shooting tight groups it may not be for you but if you are looking for a nice trigger for your gun with a red dot I don't think you can beat them. and they also come with a comfortable grip. I have built 2 ar's with them and I would buy another.

Call me crazy but my now favorite AR trigger is a stock trigger I polished well and put in a trigger adjuster screw and light weight trigger spring but stock heavy hammer spring. I also bobbed the hammer about half of what I could take off, which did make a difference.

I adjusted the trigger adjuster screw to the point the disconnector will just barely release, which now stops the safety from doing it's normal 90 degree rotation, even better it's only a 45 degree safety rotation and still functions flawlessly, I removed the safety and drilled a tiny new hole for the safety detent to hold onto.

With the polishing, light weight trigger spring and bobbed hammer I would guess my trigger pull is now about half of a full stock trigger and the trigger adjuster screw has removed all creep and the reset is almost non existent.

I like the size and shape of the stock triggers more than any others I've shot also, I'm not a fan of flat triggers or like AR Gold when the trigger has the width of about 3.5 human hairs. And even with some of the spendier triggers, some of their hammers look like chauncy little pieces of sheet metal, bound for light primer strikes or a short life in general.

My buddies have all gotten AR Gold, Velocity or RRA triggers plus I've played with a couple others and I wouldn't trade my trigger for any of them.

Im using a RRA Varmint 2 stage, just changing the triggers pins out for some nice stainless pins made a diff in trigger feel. Idk if i would want to throw a JP Spring kit on it. Its pretty light.

Currently using a CMC 2 lb 2 stage flat trigger on my calling AR. Primary Arms had a dang good sale on them awhile back and I’m extremely pleased with it. https://www.cmctriggers.com/cmc-2-stage-drop-in-trigger-flat/

I also have the yellow JP trigger springs in my 300 blackout pistol...no issues with them so far. If there ever is an issue with them, I’ll most likely go with another CMC.

Last edited:
Had my stock trigger set up the same way( not polished } but hammer and trigger spring and screw in grip also. Just to be clear on the hyperfire 3 g. They have different trigger set ups and by their descriptions i'm pretty sure i wouldn't like a lot of them for my use.

Back