Idaho Turkey

HardwickN

I just moved to Idaho back in October. Located in between noise and twinfalls. I'm looking for info on where to hunt?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Start with a State hunting regulations pamphlet, or online. It’s likely only some parts of Idaho have a season open for Turkey. You can also look at online game distribution maps, may be a few years old.

Keep an eye on seasons for grouse & other species, backup.

You can also call up the State Fish & Game office, see what tidbits they may have. I see a lot of Western States have some type of ‘hunter access’ program.

Yeah already did all of that. Thanks for the input.

I went out Sunday with the wife to an area I had never been before and had a bird before 10am.

Originally Posted By: HardwickNhad a bird before 10am.

As in had a bird in the freezer by end of day??
smile.gif

Sure did. Bad weather was moving in so we packed up camp and headed home.
We got up there Saturday saw four Jake's and two hens by the road near where we were going to camp. Drove back into this area and a found a few tracks. Never heard a gobble all afternoon. Woke up the next morning didn't hear a thing. So just started walking up a trail system and out across this ridge when we heard a hen just over the hill puttin around. Set up real fast let a few yelps and she went nuts!
While her and I went back and forth talking it got a bird on the next ridge over to gobble.
She came in alone and hung around for a few minutes and as soon as she left I looked at the map. The gobbler was about 3/4 mile walking distance.
The wife and I ended up walking through knee deep snow at one point trying to get to the next ridge over. Just as we were about to the top he gobbled again letting us know he was still there.
As we got our face maskes and gloves on the wife said she saw him about 75yards up and was headed down the hill.
So we set up at the closed tree to us and started calling. Nothing...
I figured great he busted us. But in the back of my mind I though when he gobbled he was farther away.
About 5 min had passed with no sound when I look to my right and there he stands at about 60 yards. Now there's nothing between us on the top of this ridge and I don't use a decoy on public land. So he seemed a little confused at the fact that he couldn't see another bird. He milled around a few minutes while I tried to get the shotgun pointed into his direction.
Then a hen a showed up. She acted a little fishy too. Letting out a few yelps then a few putts. She turned and walked away. I knew it was now or never because thisngobbler was going to follow his hen. He picked his head up one last time and I layed down the hammer!
I looked at the map and we were at 5000ft in elevation!
Turned out to be a great hunt and I was very blessed to have my wife with me and videoed it all!

Unfortunately a strap from my vest was in the way of her phone. She was hunkered down behind me peering around the tree. She wasnt watching her screen as she was too interested in actually just watching..
It was a great attempt though.

Back