6x6.8 with 16" barrel?

After looking at different test of guys cutting down the 224 Valkyrie and 22 Nosler, and still seeing impressive velocities down to 16" and a pretty good jump (250-300fps +) over 556, it has me thinking about a 16" 6x6.8 (or TAC6) again. I'd be shooting 70gr and up and would be targeting coyotes. I'm looking for something that has increased trajectory and energy over the 556.

One thing I'm wondering, how much of an increase over the 6x45 would I be looking at? It should be a similar velocity increase over the 6x45 compared to the 224V vs 556. Is it worth considering the 6mmAR over the 6x6.8? Any advantages?

Last edited:
I don't have a good idea of how much loss you will see going down to a 16in barrel but 70s from a 22in are in the 3350fps range with ar comp. With that short of a barrel you will prob do better with a slightly faster powder than comp.

Call me hooked a little bit from my playing around with Black Hole Weaponry polygonal twist barrels is that they shoot fast. My 16" BHW is shooting just as fast, if not faster with some recipes than my old 24" land and groove barrel, that's with 223 but I wouldn't expect a big difference in other chambers.

I shoot a 6 x 6.8 from ritch with an 18 inch barrel. I shoot suppressed and here are some of my loads:87 vmax at 2911, 60 sierra at 3200, 65 grain vmax at 3120, 70 grain nbt at 3140, 55's around 3300 if memory serves me right, I can not find the lab radar.

I'm curious why you'd be wanting to move to a 70 grain bullet if you're worried about trajectory and short barrels. Not being critical, just curious about your thought process. Like everyone else here I'm continually trying to come up with the optimum coyote killing machine regardless of the fact that everything I have already does the job lol.

On a whim I decided to try 27 grains of 2200 powder with a 55 grain varmageddon in my 16 inch 6 x 45 bhw barrel last Saturday. I knew that powder was the fastest for that caliber in that barrel length but I hadn't been able to find a good load until this one and it shoots 3240 very consistently and accurately.
As the sun went down I think my chronograph was giving me false readings but my last three had little spread and were shade over 3,300 feet per second. That's going to be hard to get away from especially where I'm getting away from the truck a few steps. I sometimes wonder if it isn't more about bullet performance and matching it to its proper impact speed than just slinging them as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Back