Beretta A300 fail to feed question

bmash

Anybody else have issues with this? Gun had been shot about 70 rounds between a pre hunt skeet trip and pheasant hunting. Skeet was 1-1/8 loads and pheasant was a 3" 1-3/4 load. No ejection issues,. Round would come up and partially enter the chamber.
It may just be that it was dirty, but I have shot many more skeet with other semi auto shotguns.
Quick searches suggest dirty bolt or recoil spring/plunger dirty or debri.
Plan to clean really well and maybe remove stock to get to the recoil plungEr and clean spring.

In my experience(I've owned dozens) there are VERY few semi automatic shotguns that don't require routine maintenance to insure reliability.
You should post under firearms for more feedback.

Last edited:
After 70 rounds I would've cleaned it. Nothing worse than a failure in the field, and if it was cheap ammo it was probably really dirty. I have the same shotgun and haven't experienced an issue with it yet. Removing the stock is a pain in the butt. Those screws are buried in that rubber pad.

Is this a new gun? Some guns need a little break in period. Just 70 rounds is a drop in the bucket and shouldn't cause a quality shotgun to become dirty enough to malfunction. Clays shooters shoot hundreds, even thousands of shells before cleaning. And the Beretta brand is a prominent semi auto on the line at clays games. I'd give the gun a very thorough cleaning and then hit a skeet field and shoot the heck out of it. Get 400-500 rounds through it, clean it again and go from there. If it still gives you trouble, now there's a problem.

Originally Posted By: GCIs this a new gun? Some guns need a little break in period. Just 70 rounds is a drop in the bucket and shouldn't cause a quality shotgun to become dirty enough to malfunction. Clays shooters shoot hundreds, even thousands of shells before cleaning. And the Beretta brand is a prominent semi auto on the line at clays games. I'd give the gun a very thorough cleaning and then hit a skeet field and shoot the heck out of it. Get 400-500 rounds through it, clean it again and go from there. If it still gives you trouble, now there's a problem.

Cleaning the gun first is key. If this is a new Beretta, mine came completely caked in black grease. I shot it a few times to pattern it, then tore it all down and cleaned it thoroughly.

Another thing to check with this gun is the butt stock. Mine came loose after just a few outings. It was almost impossible working the action if the hammer was down. Check your stock to see if there's any play at all in it.

The stock was a little loose. I hope that was the issue! It had been shot a lot and cleaned a few times. I also feel 70 rounds isn't much, but will clean before next trip as I don't like watching pheasant laugh at me as they fly by!!!
thanks guys!

The only issues I've had with my beretta 390 not feeding and jamming was was because of me not cleaning it or the lightly oiled action dried up.

Back