Alliant AR-Comp

JJH

Anyone here using AR-Comp yet? Supposed to be temp insensitive, and a good option for the heavier 223 pills. Trying to decide if I should go with this stuff or RL15.

From what i have read it is supposed to be a re-formulated RL15. Just a touch faster, and more temp stable.

Quote: “Reloder 15 is slightly slower, in burn rate, than Varget. The new AR-Comp, with the enhancements, ended up slightly faster than Reloder 15, so it is now very close to Varget in burn rate”. This is the result of the “tuning” of the powder to be much less temp-sensitive.

I have used it in two calibers so far and it was pretty impressive in both. I used it to load some rounds for the 22DTi and the 6mmDTi and it gave good consistent velocities and great accuracy. My next try with it will be with the 20Tac. I would have guessed by performance that it was slightly faster than Varget but I could be totally wrong because I have not tried Varget in those calibers.

I have several pounds of it and have been using it lately. Its a double base extruded powder. I know for a lot of people they do not like extruded powders because of how it meters. The granules are smaller than Varget and it looks like they are ever so slightly shorter than R15..

I have a couple of different measures but the one I use 90% of the time is my Comp Redding measure. I found that there is a slight variance of about 2/10 at times but most were dead on. With that said the Redding measure is a good one. There is little doubt if using my Hornady, Lyman, or my old Lee measure there would be more charge variances.....or so I think. I had a few cut charges metering it.

AR-Comp is a reformulation of Reloder 15 with a burn rate being slightly faster than Reloder 15....They say the actual burn is is very close to Varget. I wanted to try AR-Comp because it supposed to be very temp stable from -20F to 160F. The loads I have tested looked good. I have heard it called "Swedish Varget".

***** Of course standard load disclaimer: Don't try this at home ******

There is very little data out there right now and for what I am doing there is none....I am using it in my 25x45. Alliant's website showed 223 using 23.3gr for a 69gr HP @2969fps w/24" tube. Ever notice they always test with long @ss barrels. I am using Sierra 70gr BK's and already have good groups with charges of 23.9gr. The case fill on my loads is about 90-95% with that charge. I am probably getting a very slight compressed load. It was very sunny here today or I would have chrono'd a few and I will do so later.

As I have several pounds of this I do plan to shoot it quite a bit in both my 25x45 and 6x45 as I compare the two.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple pounds this weekend and hope to be testing it soon. Because of the lack of available data I just sent Alliant a quick note on it and got the following response.

Quote:10% has not been determined to be an approved reduction, but it should be pretty close if you look at comparable loads for these 2 powders. Thanks for your note.

Technical Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 4:21 PM
To: Alliant Reloading
Subject: AR-Comp

Since AR-comp is a reformulation of RL15 (a touch faster burning by all accounts), is it suitable to use RL15 data (minus %10) as start data for all calibers?

Thank You

I use 23gr with the Nosler RDF 70gr, in a bolt action loaded long. It isn't the fastest load out there but does get around 2850 in a 20" barrel. Danged accurate though. Just loaded up a few 338 Federal to try out also once the weather gets a bit warmer. It's quite universal though.

Back