Tigger the barn cat

TxPigKiller

So, some of you folks know I am night calving and now the rest of you do. It's pretty routine, feed cows late(10pm) and watch for labor and distress while doing some chores.
Well, Tigger the the barn cat is a mainstay here, she is at least 15 years old and lost most of an ear to an owl attack a few years back. The day guy normally feeds Tigger but things can get heckit and the occasional miss occurs. No sweat Ol' Tigger hears me making my rounds and comes up giving me an ear full and I go to the horse barn and get her feed out of the horse grain and fill her butter tub.
She meowed me a couple of nights ago and led me straight to the barn. Tonight she came up raising cane, and when I finished with the cows I headed for the barn. When I got to the gate she stopped and set down. Puzzled I called her and she set. I got to thinking it odd the other guy forgot her twice and thought something was up.
Now the horse barn is right in the middle of the HQ, horses, cattle, homes all with in 50 yards. I go back to the truck and get the Dynamic Duo, Blondie and Brinnie my black mouth cur and BMC/catahoula cross. As the girls and I go through the gate, Tigger leads us to the door of the barn. Now I'm a little curious myself. Tigger pops a seat next to the door, looks at the dogs and then up to me and meows. I open the large sliding door and the girls are already stoked.
The dogs bolt in before I can flip the switch but the is a serious fight going on! As the light comes on a large boar coon has sought refuge on a divider between stalls but the light was his down fall. All 65# of Blondie wipes him off like A Lawrence Taylor linebacker move, right into the waiting catahoula.
As the girls head out of the barn with their new found tug of war rope I notice the stately Tigger still on her rump at the edge of the door.
I refill her food tub, get a soft meow and purr as I flip the switch off and slide the door closed. I couldn't help thinking of Ol' Tigger as Vito Corleone and the muscle brought to bear to any one who crosses the "Don" of the horse barn.
"Be my friend....Godfather?"

Back