85gr Sierra Varmint in the 6.5 Grendel

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I put together a little Mini Howa in 6.5 Grendel and loaded some of these for it. Very accurate and the 32gr load of H-335 seems to be a pretty stout load with more fellt recoil than the 123gr Factory load. The primers stay nicely rounded and no difficulties with extraction(I worked my way up to it).

How do you think this bullet will work on coyotes, saving pelts? I've had good luck with the 60gr Sierra Varmint bullet in the 6mm.

AWS, I'm loading the same bullet and powder combo. Using CCI 450 Primers. My load is not as stout as yours but it is being loaded out of an AR. Mine is a .264 LBC, Same thing basically . It shoots extremely well. I have a Howa Mini Action and have not loaded anything but 120-123,gr bullets out of it. After deer season I will try to get it dialed in. The bullet reminds me of the Sierra 52 gr HP which does real good on varmints. I think it will (Sierra 85 HP )do a good job on coyotes and other varmints. Have you chrono graphed it yet ? I have the BHW .264 LBC and it seems a little faster than other barrels. Maybe this is because of the P3 rifling,don't know ,but I like it.

I have a bunch of those bullets from my early .260 Remington varmint gun ventures. I shoot them out of my AR Grendel and they are very very accurate. My load is similar H335, but I tone it down a bit for the AR. Should be 85 gr. of bad news for coyotes. I haven't hunted with them yet but they definitely go where you point them.

I am using them in my 18" 264 LBC from BHW with 322. Plan to try 8208 but haven't made it there yet. I have only shot one coyote, approx 80 yds, small female. Couldn't find entrance. Exit was about quarter sized, maybe half dollar if stretched. I'm not a skinner so my experience is not much.

Hit her like a lightning bolt though.
204AR I know has posted about an ar he used to have in the same caliber and I know he used this bullet some. Hopefully he and some others will chime in. The thread I read about it is what led me to this bullet over the 90 gr TNT and some others.

They shot well for me but I never killed anything with them. Actually I think I tried and missed one with 85's.

I used this bullet for quite some time in my 20" 264LBC. They were fired at just over 3000 ft/s and hit a fair share of coyotes with them. The way they worked for me was:

Anything hit over about 150-200 yards away, no exit and dead dog.
Anything less than that resulted in a mess.

I hit a few at less than 15 yards and ended up with foot size holes out the other size. The bullet worked well, was very accurate and never lost a dog with them. I am usually not too concerned with saving pelts.

I'm working up loads with this bullet. It shows promise in my rifle but I haven't killed anything other than paper with it.

Using these in my Six6 with 10x. Under .5 MOA in 16" AR. LGS usually has these pretty cheap since I doubt not many people here scoop them up.

Back