Mounting An ATN X Sight on a bolt action rifle

fitz

I don't have an X Sight yet, but I think I am going to buy the 4K model when they come out. For those of you who have them, are there any special considerations when mounting them on a bolt action with regards to getting the proper eye relief? Any special mounting hardware required?

Fitz, if I am correct, the scope has a 30mm tube, so you will need rings to fit. Not sure about ring height but would be good if medium would work in order to keep the scope lower to the bore. If the eye relief is not long enough, you may need an offset ring but I guess you won't know until you get the scope. I am not aware of anyone who has one yet. I am axnious to read some reviews. Be sure to post your review once you get the scope.

Will do 6mm06. It's probably several months down the road before I get one but I will be sure to post. I also am anxious to see some reviews, especially from someone who has an X sight II. I'm wondering how much of an improvement the 4K will be.

I have a review (initial review) of the X-Sight 2, 3-14x on the second page of this forum if you want to check it out.

As an added update, last night I took a look through both the X-Sight and Photon XT 6.5x in the woods behind my house. I didn't do videos but just an observation. There was a light snow on the ground and I looked along a straight path in the woods up to my 94 yard shooting range. To my surprise, the X-Sight was brighter and had better resolution than the Photon, with both an 850nm and a 940nm illuminator. In comparison the Photon had a darker and more grainy view. I figured the opposite would be true.

The eye relief of the X-Sight is pretty short, requiring me to put my eye glasses tight against the rubber bellows of the ocular, but it's not too bad. The new 4K is supposed to have a more generous eye relief. I got the X-Sight on Amazon for below $500, so I think for that kind of money it's a pretty good scope. I have busted two skunks at about 60 yards while using it.

The 4K is supposed to have a very clear image, even through the zoom range, plus an 18-hour battery. The X-Sight will pixillate when zooming, but not so much that you can't take a shot. I shot one of the skunks with slightly higher than 7x and could see plenty good enough. The other skunk was at 4.5x. If the 4K lives up to the advertising, it will make a good relatively low cost scope. I just hope ATN gets it right before releasing it to the public and not go the route they did with the X-Sight.

Everything that I have read tells me that the eye relief on the upcoming 4k models is much more like a traditional scope. If I remember right it's around 3" or so (it is much less than that on my xsight2). I have only been able to find one video online that supposedly came from a 4k. It is kind of a cruddy video because it's pretty shaky. I don't think the guy had it mounted on a gun yet. He claims he was looking at the chimney on a house that was 400+ yards away and I could see that he was zoomed way in and the picture was still really clear( minus the shaking from the unsteady hands of the guy holding it).

I would also add that the 4k is shaped much more like a traditional scope than the xsight 2 is. This should help to eliminated the need for a riser/extender. I have to have my thor on a riser/extender to get it up high enough so that the bolt won't hit the scope when cycling it and also to be able to mount the scope back far enough to be comfortable to shoot.

Originally Posted By: fitzI don't have an X Sight yet, but I think I am going to buy the 4K model when they come out. For those of you who have them, are there any special considerations when mounting them on a bolt action with regards to getting the proper eye relief? Any special mounting hardware required? Hope this helps a bit, I run the ATN line of products on many different set ups, this is the 3X14 mounted on a bolt gun in .270WSM, my 5X20 is mounted on a 6.5 Grendel.....the 4K pro has been tested up to a .416 caliber for recoil, just FYI.
2zxse14.jpg

2s60z07.jpg

rwjw37.jpg

Remember, if you mount the 4K on a bolt rifle, the kit comes with a front scope ring that has a pic rail to mount your IR....Pictured here....
9zlef6.jpg

Good luck, release date of these products have yet to be determined....Should be soon.

I just saw an email that was posted on one of the ATN owners groups on facebook that one of the members received from atn stating that the 4k scopes are now shipping.

I read April 16, I want to try one too. but will wait until June.
Give them a chance to get some videos out for review.

I spoke with an ATN rep. last week who told me pre-orders had shipped and that general stock would be shipping within a couple of weeks or so.

Back