Scope recommendations

TysonG

First post!

Just joined the forum. I’ve got a Savage 25-06 that I’m wanting to put a new scope on. It will primarily serve as a coyote slayer (hopefully) but will also double as a deer gun. I am looking in the $300 or less price range. I thought I had narrowed it down to the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12 but read some not so positive reviews on here.

Any recommendations for something that would be a good all around scope?

I have some unused Cabelas gift cards so something that Cabelas carries would be great

Thanks so much!

Put a tad bit more on ur budget and get a basic Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. Great glass, great warranty. It will be a scope that will last you a life time and has a great resale value

I was considering the covenant line from cabelas not long ago myself. Fairly new, but the reviews i have read have been good for the price point. I decided to go with an athlon argos btr though, for the illum reticle and they have been around longer. Idk if cabelas carries them or not, but athlon might be another line to fit your bill. Ill be using it for prairie dogs up to coyotes.

Welcome to the forum.
We have had excellent feedback on the Athlons. The Argos BTR is a lot of scope for the low price. As a long standing supporting vendor here it would be our pleasure to discuss options with you, please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll research the Athlon. Unfortunately for this purchase I’ll be forced to use the cabelas gift cards. Ive got enough to cover the scope and mounts. Next time I will def look at cameraland...

Thanks again

Originally Posted By: TysonGThanks for the recommendations. I’ll research the Athlon. Unfortunately for this purchase I’ll be forced to use the cabelas gift cards. Ive got enough to cover the scope and mounts. Next time I will def look at cameraland...

Thanks again

We are still more than happy to discuss optics with you so you're comfortable with your decision on what to get

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Put a tad bit more on ur budget and get a basic Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40. Great glass, great warranty. It will be a scope that will last you a life time and has a great resale value
This^^^ great scope with no regrets. Also recommended are lightweight Talley low mounts, this would make a great setup for your Savage.

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougOriginally Posted By: TysonGThanks for the recommendations. I’ll research the Athlon. Unfortunately for this purchase I’ll be forced to use the cabelas gift cards. Ive got enough to cover the scope and mounts. Next time I will def look at cameraland...

Thanks again

We are still more than happy to discuss optics with you so you're comfortable with your decision on what to get

Thats some service right there!! Knowing your not going to buy from them but still offering to help you make a decision so your happy.. Thats good stuff right there!!

Ive been using a couple Bushnell Engage 2.5-10x44 scopes and love them. They were on sale for $230? and got 30% off mail in rebates from bushnell.

Ive got one on a 6x6.8SPC and another on 223.

For a deer/coyote rifle I see no real "need" to go over 10x on the high end. Although. I'd stay at 4or lower on the bottom and get the best glass you can afford. And personally I'd skip any tacticalness as it usually just increases weight and price and has little real use for hunting...that said the Vortex Diamondback hp 3-12x42 should be close to your budget

Originally Posted By: willy1947First what are you going to shoot??? I want to see him try and shoot something other than bullets!

Sorry...i had to be the one. Couldnt help myself!

Im guessing your talking about what load maybe. That info might be helpful i suppose. He did say above it was going to be primarily a coyote rifle and sometimes for deer also. Pretty overkill for yotes unless you dont mind a softball out the back of em, but if its just to be rid of them there is no such thing as too much rifle!

I run a Nikon 4-12x40 Coyote special on my .308 AR and I have gotten NO complaints from the coyotes that I have dropped. Clear on out to over 400 yards. Clear, easy to use, fast. The only downside, is not being able to go beyond the reticle's subtensions. If you need to do that, then you might look at something with a mil-dot.

I have a Millet 4-16x50mm that I run on my 6.5 Grendel for night hunting and a Nikon 4.5-18 on a 6.5 Creedmoor for going out a ways.

Just an FYI, I just bought an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 from Doug at Cameraland. Great company to work with. The Athlon Cronus is an amazing optic. Just got it mounted on my 6.5 last night. Will be headed to the range on Saturday. The glass in this scope is ridiculous for the price range.

Since the OP is limited to buying at Cabela's. I have heard good things about the Cabela's Covenant scopes. If not the Cabela's branded scope look at the Nikons.

Go used. A Bushnell 4200 2.5-10 will hold its own next to any scope in the 500 dollar range and you can get one for 200 or so if you are patient. Great FOV for calling and enough scope to reach out a little further when needed. I like the 10x for jack rabbits and 2.5x for predators. I basically never buy new anymore. Shooters are a fickle bunch. You can find scopes that have never been mounted or used just once or twice for half the cost of a new one. Many will still have their lifetime warranty, so not much risk.

Back