How To --- Good Quality Shooting Sticks w/pics

BigMo

I have noticed more and more shooting stick post lately and I have not posted this in a while so I thought this might be a good time to re-post it.

Only a few things required.
Go to about any feed store and buy a bag of green castration bands.
100 for $6.00 They will last several years longer than automotive o-rings.
Go to Wal-Mart in the camping area look for a tent pole replacement kit. This has 4 slip fit sections, a piece of round shock cord/elastic, and two end caps.
1 Kit for $6.95
Go to auto store (Napa) and buy a 2 foot piece of windshield washer hose that just fits the tent pole.
Washer hose is thinner wall lighter weight and more flexable than fuel line.
2ft for $1.60

Wal-Mart carries 2 sizes of tent pole. One is 5/16 I like the larger one it is stiffer and holds a heavy rifle more steady. The larger version is 3/8 and the part number is CA13000. The kit is made by Ozark Trail.

I am tall 6 feet 2 inches and I hunt from a stool so most bypods and factory made shooting sticks are just to short.
I cut 2 of the sections just below the metal slip socket.
You may need to dummy them up without shock cord a few times to determine how long you want them. Remember you can always shorten but if you cut too much you need another kit. The leg length on mine is 48 inches, 24 each section.

Once you have determined the length slip the shock cord up through 2 sections of the pole. Now tie it off in a double knot on one end pull tention to the other and tie it off.
Now you have one pole assembled repeat for the other pole.
Now you have 2 seperate 2 section poles shock corded together. Install the caps on the lower ends. They will seem tight but I use glue here because they will fall off later. Large vacuum caps from the Napa can also be used if you loose one later. I leave a short length of cord past the knot and fold it under the hose and feet this also helps keep the knots in place at each end of the pole.

I slide a 1 inch piece of the hose down on the top section of each stick this keeps the bands from sliding down under the weight of the rifle. Then slip a single band around one leg only. Then slip 3 bands over the end of the two sticks held together. Now with these bands near the end pull the single band back up over the end of the one pole. This captures it around the other 3 bands and gives the legs room to pivot. Now slide all the bands down to the 1 inch hose sections you already have installed. Now with the remaining hose slide it on above the bands but it needs to come down very close to them. The hose slid down on the top of the sticks actually will grip the rifle stock and aid in shooting. You may need to trim the hose some but leave a loop as this serves a purpose.

NOTES
1 Before cutting the sticks wrap tightly with tape and work the saw around the section through the tape scoring the rods all the way around then slice through. This will keep the fiberglass from splintering. Remove the tape after cutting.

2 Use dish washing soap inside the hose to help make it slide on. Wearing gloves also helps you grip the hose. The soap will dry and the hose will never move again. It is a very tight fit. Should you need to change it you will have to cut it off.

3 Leaving a loop on the top serves several purposes. When the rifle is slid into your sticks they cant fall out from under it. Usually if you need to move the sticks will try to fall over forward or backward. With the rifle in the loop they will not fall over. If you are rush for a shot you can always lay the rifle on the loop and it will simply fold out of the way.

4 Always set the rifles fore stock on the sticks not just the barrel. If you only rest the barrel on the sticks your rifle will no longer shoot to point of aim. The sticks will push up on the barrel and change where your rifle shoots.

5. Larger feet (end caps) than come in the kit can be found at Home Depot. I found mine in a discount bin for .99 for 4 caps.

I hope this is helpfull to those who have ask about shooting sticks.

The tent pole kit

5478120180_large.jpg

Yoke (pivot area) and slide stoppers

5478120181_large.jpg

Without these slide stoppers the bands will slide down easily if they ever get wet.

Feet

5478120183_large.jpg

Yoke Area

5478120182_large.jpg

Folded

5478120177_large.jpg

Extended

5478120176_large.jpg

5478120143_large.jpg

I've found that most 'average' shooting sticks are not tall enough when I use a stool or chair to get me off the ground and many of them are pretty flexible and don't offer the stability for really accurate shooting.

I recently wound up making my own shooting sticks from a couple of 60" woooden brush handles (3/4") by drilling a hole through them and attaching them together with a carriage bolt and lock nut (total cost-$8)...I drilled a couple of small holes along the legs and use a tiny bungee cord to prevent them from spreading excessively due to the weight of the rifle and by wrapping the bungee cord around the legs when collapsed, it keeps them from 'klacking' together..

This allows me to extend one 'ear' through my sling and tighten the rifle forearm to the sticks and lean the sticks forward or backward to obtain the correct height...That's what I will be using at the 'Egg Shoot' in a couple of days at the PM Hunt..

When they are collapsed together, they also make pretty good walking sticks..

I realize that this is a pretty old thread, but an internet/darkweb search for this idea lead me here.

BigMo, do you still have your photos of how you put this together? Looking for any help I can get on this.

Thanks

Back