gas tube leaking @ gas block

BrienM

A fairly recent AR build of mine is leaking a little at the joining of the gas tube and gas block. I have read that its fairly common and will eventually seal up after so many shots. I am not a mechanical guru on AR's but have a pretty good understanding of them. How many shots should I expect to take to seal or should I change the tube or gas block or both?

They all do it. There is no set number of shots and some never seal. There is a surplus of gas so leakage is of no concern unless the gun starts to short stroke. Many aluminum blocks seal better than steel blocks, but they erode faster. It's a give and take issue.

As snowman said, they all do it. As long as your rifle is still cycling 100%, its nothing to worry about. There's no set number of shots it will take to do so, but yes - minor gas leaks do tend to seal themselves up with carbon eventually.

When I first assembled it, all parts being brand new, I removed 1 weight out of the buffer due to short stroking and it has never malfunctioned since. It could have been some parts needed somewhat of a break in but as stated earlier I am not a mechanical guru I only have "pretty good understanding of them". I have near 200 rounds on it and have never put
the weight back in. I don't want to damage anything internally so I am thinking I should put the weight back in but still up in the air. Cycling issues may not have been due to leak at all but removing weight made it reliable.

You would need a huge amount of leakage to make a difference in the cycling. My cure for loosing some of the gas as it discolors the GB or barrel is to wipe it down when I clean the rifle.

Your gas port may be slightly undersided for the balancing act of buffer/spring. Not unusual at all. I've only ran in to that a couple times and opening it up a couple thousandths took care of that. I personally do not believe in decreasing weights or adding them. I'd rather do it with an adjustable gas block and a port large enough to give me enough gas to work with.

I just got a new upper that leaks a bit. The GB is a set screw type and over the years I've found they will leak more than the clamp on style. Function is 100% as I would have expected and I am OK wit a bit of grime on the tube. Some guys will slather some lock-tite around the leaking areas. but I don't bother. YMMV.

Greg

Back