Gen 3 primos trigger sticks/tripods?

ohihunter2014

So it seems the consensus is i'm too tall (6ft5ish) for a Harris 27'' bipod so i'm looking at the Primos gen 3 trigger stick tripod. I've looked through all the past threads and the gen 2 seems to get good reviews but no gen 3 info. I will mostly be using this for woodchucks and coyotes and the adjustable legs without having to twist and what not to lock them seems like the ticket.

My concern is how stable for 300yard woodchuck shots? I am also torn on getting the standing or the sitting tripod. When i coyote hunt its all hilly terrain so not sure if the longer legs of the standing will be better but also a little concerned the standing model wont be short enough for sitting?

Head is different from Gen 2 vs. 3, better adjustment control on angle, without question. Everything else is the same between the two for legs, trigger, adjustment, etc. I use the G2, my bro-in-law has the G3. His is clunkier looking, but it has better control on leg angle than mine. I’d buy either if I needed a new one, and be happy - recognizing that would most likely be a G3 since they’ve replaced the G2.

The standing will go all the way down to a tall prone height. Short version is ALMOST as tall at its shortest as the tall version, within a few inches, but doesn’t go as tall at its tallest.

I have the gen3 stick - they work great! Usually use it for deer hunting. I think it cost about $125 at the time. For predator hunting I use the night stalker tripod set up with a pig saddle (Cost is$150 for the tripod and about $135 for the pig saddle). The gen 3 does not allow for hands free operations as does the night stalker tripod set up, but can be used in sitting. kneeling, and standing positions (see Amazon reviews). I use the gen 3 for deer hunting because it is lighter and fast to set up and I frequently move from spot to spot so it's easy. The gen 3 is nowhere near as stable as the tripod set up which I use when I need to stay super still. hope that helps some.

I'm 6' 4 and bought one of the tall ones. If walking, hunting deer it's great. Mostly it gets used on failed coyote hunts where it's too tall when sitting on the ground. If I used a chair it would probably be a different story. One of these days I'll break down and buy something shorter.

Originally Posted By: SubpaRI'm 6' 4 and bought one of the tall ones. If walking, hunting deer it's great. Mostly it gets used on failed coyote hunts where it's too tall when sitting on the ground. If I used a chair it would probably be a different story. One of these days I'll break down and buy something shorter.

Is the issue the legs don't extend wide enough?

i have a new gen 2 tri-pod, i dont use it at all, been hanging in my gear room for 2yrs, pm me if you would like to buy it.

I have the shorter tripod gen 2 and it's a pretty amazing accessory for calling coyotes. I have had no problem shooting past 200 yds with both an AR and bolt. I'm 6' tall and it goes a little taller than what I usually need while sitting on the ground. I would think it would fit your needs

It seems to me to be neither fish nor fowl, slower and more cumbersome than my Vanguard sticks, nowhere near as stable and solid as a legitimate tripod and clamp.

I may try it as a binocular and rangefider tripod. For now, it just gets in the way in my shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014
Is the issue the legs don't extend wide enough?

Yes, sitting on mostly flat ground the legs are spread very wide and constantly trying to slide out even further. Sitting on a hillside is not bad.

I bought the gen 3 sticks for my girls to hunt with and have no complaints at all. My dad has a set of Gen 2. I don't expect them to be as steady as short harris bipods but they are quick and easy and my girls shoot off them well.. They are 14 and 8 .. 8 year old shot 2 of her 3 deer off of them last year. 1 was right before dark she was sitting down and had the legs spread clear apart and the buck was level with us (elevation). I used them a little and they are definitely handy. I am 6'2. My gen 3 legs don't try to come out unless I pull the trigger but they are fairly new. could get worse as they age but so far so good.

Originally Posted By: greengt88i have a new gen 2 tri-pod, i dont use it at all, been hanging in my gear room for 2yrs, pm me if you would like to buy it.

PM sent

Back