Small Pond Largemouth

AdamT

Took the kids to a small pond near the house today for a little fishing trip. We managed to catch a few largemouth bass in the short time we spent there. A couple of them had the red showing on the inside of the upper lip. I was always told that meant they were getting their nest ready. I'm not sure if that's a fact or one of many theories surrounding this red coloration inside the mouth. I do know for sure though that we all had a fun time today.

Son Levi with a fish.
41221168591_8e6f9f3e75_k_d.jpg

Daughter Carleigh didn't want to hold her fish.
40324333235_2ae33a06e9_k_d.jpg

Big fish of the day
41221167461_c6dc9d490e_k_d.jpg

Excellent! Spring hasn't sprung here yet, fishing is tough right now. My local lakes water temps are in the mid-40's.

LOOOOOOVE small pond fishing. Well done with the kids!

Levi lippin it like a CHAMP!

I envy all the green you guys have there

My weather forecast is for 2" of snow tomorrow night (Friday) and a low of 19* Sunday morning. Spring just isn't happening here yet.

We’ve had a few days of temps in the 70s but nothing consistent. Was down in the upper 20s last night and chance of snow and rain mix this weekend. I don’t think Mother Nature is ready to commit to spring fully just yet here either. The cold spell yesterday will probably be rough on the dry land fish that were starting to come up and the gobblers seems to be conflicted as well.

I've caught a number of large LM's in lilypad choked ponds running a Johnson's minnow spoon(gold, silver, and black) with a pork frog on the back. More open ponds, a small Jitterbug on a casting or spinning rig and popper flies on a 9 weight flyrod.

Back