Threaded barrels......does it hurt accuracy?

So does the way that Shilen goes back and laps the barrel work, just adds substantially to the price?

Could a barrel be bored, then threaded, then rifled?

Originally Posted By: MerditSo does the way that Shilen goes back and laps the barrel work, just adds substantially to the price?

Could a barrel be bored, then threaded, then rifled?

just use the bigger thread instead of doing that. TC did counter bore the muzzleloader barrels, It does help a huge deal with loading because you can put your bullet and sabot 3/4 way started into the barrel just sticking it there with your fingers. you essentially don't need a starter tool to start seating you bullet/sabot.

So should I have my 2 Sendro stainless barrels threaded 5/8 24, even that they are 22 cal? And run a 30 cal suppressor, rather than a 556 can with 1/2 28 threads?. Both barrels are very accurate, I would prefer to keep them instead of rebarreling with sporter contours.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootSo should I have my 2 Sendro stainless barrels threaded 5/8 24, even that they are 22 cal? And run a 30 cal suppressor, rather than a 556 can with 1/2 28 threads?. Both barrels are very accurate, I would prefer to keep them instead of rebarreling with sporter contours.

I would, use the larger thread. I would also get a can that can run multiple calibers. libery mystic x is a great one to do that with.

My other question is do barrel manufacturers contour before rifling? I thought they rifled a straight tube and then contour, if they contour after rifling, then inside diameter would not stay true the full length.

Some contour before, some after. Same results can be had either way. Heat treat and/or lapping to get to where they want to be for straightness, uniformity and spec. Different barrel makers do things in different orders, and not all even do the same things. Cut rifled vs. button, small production vs. large scale, make them cheap vs make them good and so on and so on.

There isn't a simple answer to your question. It just depends on who is making the barrel, how they are making it and what their desired end result is - like cheap, or good. Some makers have different processes and steps depending on who the customer is or which product line the barrel is intended for.

A good barrel is going to be hand lapped into spec.

- DAA

Back