Coyote Hound advice

Wagner

I’m trying to figure out if getting hounds is a good idea for me. I’ve always had waterfowl/field dogs, but my old Chessie is retired at 14. I love those dogs, but nowadays everybody and their brother has a lab they want to bring hunting.

So the only dogs my main hunting buddies don’t have are coyote hounds and I’m thinking about filling that area if it makes sense. I’ve only run coyotes twice so I have a lot of learning to do.

1. To me, dogs are part of the family & live in the house, so I wouldn’t own more than 2 hounds.

2. I like walkers and blueticks just because, but I know there are a lot of options on breeds.

3. I’d really like dogs that I could let lose to find their own track. In northern Michigan it can be pretty hard to wander thru the woods looking for a track to set them on.

I guess my questions if 2 dogs would be enough to run well and if there is a recommended combo of breeds

Any constructive advise is really appreciated. I don’t want to impulse buy some dogs and make a bad decision.

Do a mountain cur. They're great with people and kids. They do well with decoying coyotes. They dont have quite the nose of a walker or tick, but you'd be surprise what they can do. They're a great all around dog. They're smaller too so it is easier to handle them. Theyre kind of like a tiny lab with an attitude.

Xdeano

Last edited:
Back