Olympic UMAR 22 250 mags?

No Off Season

Had to pull the trigger and get one.
Been lurking for yrs and finally it's on the way.
I'm aware that only 5 round mags were made. Has anyone found someone to fabricate a higher capacity one?
Sure defeats the purpose of the AR with 6 shots. Still had to have it!

I tried playing around with light bullets at 2.300 OAL and different magazines and nothing worked very well. The case taper on a 22-250 is pretty steep which requires the factory magazine and their follower. Get an adjustable gas block and make sure it has a rifle buffer in it. Mine came with a carbine buffer and I had cycling issues until everything was tuned in. Have fun it's riot to shoot!

Several manufacturers have had difficulty with the round functioning reliably when stacked over 5 deep.
None of them make a semi auto in that caliber any longer.
Maybe one of the hot new rounds will be able to match the performance someday, or an ar-10 choice like .243.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Several manufacturers have had difficulty with the round functioning reliably when stacked over 5 deep.
Maybe one of the hot new rounds will be able to match the performance someday, or an ar-10 choice like .243.

I think there is still at least two manufacturers still producing the .22-250 on the AR platform. (That’s not including us!) They are correct about the magazines though. I don’t know of any “high-cap” magazines for the 22-250.

Thanks guys, I'm not aware of any others that have or continue to make this round in the ar platform. Olympic is closed now and never made any greater than 5 round mag. I'm hoping that someone has found a fabricator that has at least found success with 10-15 rounds. I am looking local for a metal shop that I can take the one I get to and ask them to try and build one for me! I know I'm going to need luck. Heck if I had a couple of the mags a shop might be able to stack them for me. Just hoping for some success.

Originally Posted By: dtechOriginally Posted By: tripod3Several manufacturers have had difficulty with the round functioning reliably when stacked over 5 deep.

I think there is still at least two manufacturers still producing the .22-250 on the AR platform. (That’s not including us!) They are correct about the magazines though. I don’t know of any “high-cap” magazines for the 22-250.

what are the problems with doing this in a 22-250? any thoughts on why these never seemed to take off?

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonThanks guys, I'm not aware of any others that have or continue to make this round in the ar platform. Olympic is closed now and never made any greater than 5 round mag. I'm hoping that someone has found a fabricator that has at least found success with 10-15 rounds. I am looking local for a metal shop that I can take the one I get to and ask them to try and build one for me! I know I'm going to need luck. Heck if I had a couple of the mags a shop might be able to stack them for me. Just hoping for some success.

Olympic did not close. They restructured. The UMAR is still in production and to top it off, ALL of their wssm and UMAR parts can now be bought individually straight from olympic.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettOriginally Posted By: dtechOriginally Posted By: tripod3Several manufacturers have had difficulty with the round functioning reliably when stacked over 5 deep.

what are the problems with doing this in a 22-250? any thoughts on why these never seemed to take off?

My understanding is the cartridge length makes it fussy for the ar15 and heavy with an ar10.
Then like hippie mentioned the case taper becomes a problem after about five rounds. Seems like armalite had ten round mags that ended up with issues when loaded over five.

Thanks for the info to all. I had not heard news that they are open again. Their site still says only five round mags available to be BUILT. Maybe they can shed some light with a phone call.

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonThanks guys, I'm not aware of any others that have or continue to make this round in the ar platform. Olympic is closed now and never made any greater than 5 round mag. I'm hoping that someone has found a fabricator that has at least found success with 10-15 rounds. I am looking local for a metal shop that I can take the one I get to and ask them to try and build one for me! I know I'm going to need luck. Heck if I had a couple of the mags a shop might be able to stack them for me. Just hoping for some success. have u considered having some one print one first. May be a little cheaper and adjustments to the design could be easily plugged in the program and reprinted.

Are you suggesting 3D printer? thought that would be a stretch !
But maybe not. Just sent an inquiry to Black Rain Ord. Didn't know they have a 7 round for theirs. Waiting to hear.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonAre you suggesting 3D printer? thought that would be a stretch !
But maybe not. Just sent an inquiry to Black Rain Ord. Didn't know they have a 7 round for theirs. Waiting to hear.....

That's on a large frame. Not going to do you any good.

its too bad someone does take this idea on and refine it more. I didn't know olymnpic sells the stuff which is a change from what they used to do. I wonder if the olympic upper and BCG could be used to make something on the BR case, then you wouldn't need the lower mods or the different mags.

Talked with staff at Olympic,
Very informative regarding the case taper being the challenge. Not ever having a mag in my hand, I was unaware of the Billet Aluminum milled construction. Cost of the large block to make a longer one and the waste that goes along, causes very high cost and not a large market. They have zero plans to develop a larger one. I do not reload and never will so all of the non-factory options are out for me. Each firearm selected has limitations, my choice is going to have at least the capacity as one!

Back