22 Nosler project coming together (FULLY ASSEMBLED NOW)

AdamT

I decided to give the 22 Nosler a try and started assembling parts and pieces. Took delivery of my barrel today, low profile gas block came yesterday, and the hand guard should be here around middle of next week. Finally starting to come together.
40918751142_10b17a8e79_k_d.jpg

40960550081_8b567d4010_k_d.jpg

I've got 100 rounds of the Varmageddon 62r FBHP on the way from Midsouth ($28.69 per 50) to start with and get a collection of brass.

Was somewhat reluctant to go with the 22 Nosler with all the mixed opinions and reports. Went with the 22" WOA barrel, I liked the idea of the rifle +2 gas port to help with the pressure concerns, and everybody seems to have good things to say about their barrels but this is my first experience with them.

Primary intended use for the rifle is calling coyotes, particullary at night. Hoping the new ATN X Sight Pro 4K turns out to be what they say it is, if so, will be putting one on this rifle.

Last edited:
May shoot heavier bullets one day. Probably not, will most likely stick with something in the 50-65 grain range. Might even try 40s for the heck of it. Just didn't want to limit myself to the lighter bullets I guess. I don't think it will launch them fast enough to cause them to come apart mid flight, but I guess it's possible.

I'm glad I got the fluting. It looks nice and it took some weight off the barrel. I believe they said it was 8 ounces or so lighter with the fluting on the 22" barrel.

Last edited:
Im curious how it does. I have a bhw 8 twist 22" that seems to not like anything but 53 vmax as far as bullets in that weight range. I have had two and still have one 22" 12 twist woa and they will stack 55 Nosler bts. That was the bullet I wanted to shoot so I stopped there. The bts are magic on coyotes.

Last edited:
I'll let you know. I want to try the 55 Nosler BT too. I'll probably grab a box or two of the trophy grade factory loads. I need to find a die set for this thing though. "Dirty Hippie" has a 20" WOA 8 twist and was getting just over 3900fps with the 40s, 3550 with the 55s, and 3150 with a 65gr SGK with Hagar brass, though he said all loads were hard on the brass. I'm honestly hoping to find something in the 50-55gr range, preferably with the Nosler BTs or maybe a Berger, and get good speed with great accuracy and not destroy brass.

That rifle is going to be a beauty, I really like the fluting. My barrel is the WOA 20" predator profile. It's an 8 twist and shoots 40-77 grain bullets very accurately. I haven't seen any trouble with light bullets in the fast twist and it does give you options if you feel like trying new bullets.

Last edited:
33 grains of cfe223 is what I shoot in the bhw, and both of the woa barrels. Right at 3500 fps depending on temperature outside and half inch 5 shots groups arent uncommon. Cfe223 was the fastest powder I found. The facrory 55 bts are right at 3500 fps as well and shoot same poi as the handloads. Groups were well under an inch and closer to .750" with the factory stuff.
To give you an idea these loads were a little over 3300 in and 18" stoner barrel.
I also tried a mac load of varget and it was very accurate too but only 3300 in my first woa 22" barrel.
55 bts near 3500 have proven to be coyote death ray.

Last edited:
Handguard was delivered today. Went with the UTG Pro Super Slim MLOK in 17" to fully cover the gas block on the rifle +2" gas port. Its a real nice piece, made in USA, reasonably priced, much much better quality than some stuff UTG use to offer. Ammo was delivered and picked up 2 boxes of the 55 grain BT's to get things going. Went ahead and stuck a VX-2 4-12x40 on top, holding out for the release and hopefully good reviews of the new X Sight Pro 4K. Now just to need to get some rounds down the barrel, line up the scope, and see what kind of ability it's going to have.

27208941108_f4a94b29aa_k_d.jpg

Ive got that same exact handguard. If you have any trouble with the screws that bolt to the barrel nut, you can find that same exact screw at a hardware store although it is metric

Back