Finally got to get away

Ochocobull

Had a ton of things going on over the fall and winter but I was finally able to get out today, and the kicker was I got to take my oldest with me.

Left the house about 5:30 and got to where we wanted to hunt by about 7:45. Did a few cow calls with no definitive response howls. Thought we might have heard some far off but weren't sure. Decided to head that way and call just to be safe. Setup with the boy on the .223 (I know, I know) and me on the Stoeger. First call was just yip and howls and only played it for about two minutes. Went quiet for 5 minutes then went to Fem coyote sub and played that for 5 minutes, and went quiet again. About 30 seconds after we shut up heard some yips coming hard at us across the draw. I decided to just keep quiet and let them come. The trotted into about 150 yards on the other side of the draw and stopped. The oldest shot the far one quartering to him and it spun and ran, the other came closer but stopped when the pup distress started from the foxbang. He shot her head on and she ran maybe 10 yards and piled up.

We walked over there and couldn't find the first coyote for some reason. Looked for about 40 minutes but no blood and I knew she wouldn't go far.

Went to make another stand and found out the wing for the mojo woodpecker decoy was lost. Not happy about that at all. Setup and once again played yips and howls and then shut up. Waited a few minutes and then played female coyote sub and within 5 minutes what I believe to be a big male came in. I tried to get the number one son to get a shot but he wasn't in position and when he moved we got busted. I should have just let him have it with the shotgun but such is life.

Setup on another stand and get nothing

Went back to look for the mojo woodpecker wing from the first stand cause it was bugging me. Decided to look a little harder for the first yote we couldn't find and ended up finding her with a lot of luck.

Final stand same sequence but for much longer 20 minutes and called in another double but they stopped about 300 + yards out and a heavy cross wind....well just say no joy.

We called it a day at about 1:30 and headed back to a great Easter dinner. Picture is of the first double both females.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent job Ocho...tell the boy congrats!!! Nothing wrong with a .223!!! I didn't see the pic or even a link???

Ok let's try this again. Here is the last try at adding the image. Thanks for letting me know.

gCeZ3jGyw3SQ_KnVLVS2arljuK4Bjejyc6CvCVDadZVLG5uxXh1lG7W5qJlZKoigB8hWh-8dEo66QeIFDpFYcS5aoFk8Cm6bN28KB3W5p2XimFwmUeoTG56ZnBXloDypVjy1YpNTfORzfZUsD7cHh7vMdewqp3Zc5sJWMqzDxdgHcP8UEamwgDN3Rb9Fyr4_JTEmDsKTNcQWVTJh44w7G81ag9rN6dVNoF5OcgzygdH3DepvD_R_cbQ3IsR6hMayGBtRUggnp3a_bdWNWsmuE54RgE-f3GrCQZ4B5fjKJs167vj2u2fUPxG12CaBOC_0y3LQEEkIZZb1MnT1UioaZtMt25FKWHTg32OgDF77vJFnfyVnVBqP-u8e4GKolamZ540oycyxJVd7AAT4ycWB_trI9m7UDiPrkWBUvcGXAaGCyRl0vZ4qP90B1i0zkvXq63kb5Ckod9pGsKalCMynrk1sz6Ewv-c5ulkke2M-M0qM2Nl7efOtGkp4-YO5yKZOjwuF26LtykChGp0pFA5Z0ruyQ4fIPGpjkhB0qP19kU6vMXb1jOlVUx-zdxDWQ-U0QsUo8G6xIrAaXtihtseovHPbLxmMLgZ7KgQmR05C=w568-h758-no

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: baitpileExcellent job Ocho...tell the boy congrats!!! Nothing wrong with a .223!!! I didn't see the pic or even a link???

Thanks baitpile I will let him know. I love my .223 I just see a lot of the guys hating on them. I will work on getting that picture to show up. Thank you for letting me know.

Great read and picture; always good to get out with the youngsters. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Great read and picture; always good to get out with the youngsters. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Thanks hm, was fun to finally get away for a little while. We had a ball.

Back