Jagd terrier/mountain cur cross???

I'm just curious. Ive ran mtn. Curs for 14 or so years and theyve always been a great dog for devoting, trapline dogs. They're great with people and kids to. Just looking for something different.
Thanks
Deano

Originally Posted By: xdeanoI'm just curious. Ive ran mtn. Curs for 14 or so years and theyve always been a great dog for devoting, trapline dogs. They're great with people and kids to. Just looking for something different.
Thanks
Deano all I know is what I read and people I've talked to and most of them say it wasn't a very good combination.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: xdeanoI'm just curious. Ive ran mtn. Curs for 14 or so years and theyve always been a great dog for devoting, trapline dogs. They're great with people and kids to. Just looking for something different.
Thanks
Deano all I know is what I read and people I've talked to and most of them say it wasn't a very good combination.

Hmmm, well ive been reading up on them from as many sources as I can and talked to several guys now and I havent once seen in writing or while talking to owners that this cross isn't a good combination. In fact its quite the opposite. I'll continue my research on them.

Deano

I guess it depends on if they have some pups for sale. Of course they will say they are good.

What you wanting to use them for? I know you said coyote, but thats a broad subject? Trapline? Decoy dog? Running dog? A dog that will wool a dead one after you shoot?

Sounds like you already got your mind made up you like them, so why ask us?

Originally Posted By: btech29I guess it depends on if they have some pups for sale. Of course they will say they are good.

What you wanting to use them for? I know you said coyote, but thats a broad subject? Trapline? Decoy dog? Running dog? A dog that will wool a dead one after you shoot?

Sounds like you already got your mind made up you like them, so why ask us?

Decoy dog, trapline dog, denning dog, under an aircraft, trailing, you name it. I'm currently using mtn. Curs, kemmers to be exact. I don't and won't have any for sale. But I don't see why they wouldn't be a decent cross breed. I have yet to come across a bad comment about them. I feel that you've had a bad experience with a terrier breed not being worth it's salt.

I guess ever breed has a bad apple, and it's all in how you train it.

My curs have been great decoy dogs, trapline dogs, denning dogs, under the airplane dogs etc. I've had friends that have had curs be duds that wouldn't perform. I don't know why id change other than the maybe making a slightly smaller framed dog, and to just give it a try. You never know how a breed will do unless you try it. I'm just looking for insight. Id like to talk to someone who's ran the cross to see how it went and if it bridges the gap.

I know you were thinking about doing a red heeler/cur mix. I've had some bad experiences with reds in the past too, doesn't mean I'm going to say don't do it, there might be something there.

Xdeano

Last edited:
I like Chevy trucks too, dont mean they are the best.

You mentioned that heeler pup. That dog is driving me crazy!! I have high hopes for the idiot, but if she sucks I will say she sucks. I wont breed her 10 times and use what little influence I have to peddle the pups.

Man, my opinion on the terrier cross goes deeper than just the dogs, but I wont go into that story. My opinion is, they are not the best choice for decoy work. They may be awesome for an all around dog like you need. Yes, they will decoy, not great, but they will do it.

Ive owned one and hunted with several, but they are all from around here. There may be some good ones up where you are at. I certainly dont know every cross out there.

I think Ive made my opinion pretty clear on this subject. I wont post again about Cur/Terrier dogs. Good luck, I hope ya get a good one.

Originally Posted By: btech29I like Chevy trucks too, dont mean they are the best.

You mentioned that heeler pup. That dog is driving me crazy!! I have high hopes for the idiot, but if she sucks I will say she sucks. I wont breed her 10 times and use what little influence I have to peddle the pups.

Man, my opinion on the terrier cross goes deeper than just the dogs, but I wont go into that story. My opinion is, they are not the best choice for decoy work. They may be awesome for an all around dog like you need. Yes, they will decoy, not great, but they will do it.

Ive owned one and hunted with several, but they are all from around here. There may be some good ones up where you are at. I certainly dont know every cross out there.

I think Ive made my opinion pretty clear on this subject. I wont post again about Cur/Terrier dogs. Good luck, I hope ya get a good one.

Btech,
You ever messed with a cur/border collie? That's another cross I'd been thinking about for quite a while.

I appreciate your input on the jagd cur cross.

I'd give that heeler cross some time. If it doesn't turn into anything by 3 you might start looking for something else. I have a general propensity against healers. I had a bad experience with them when I was a little kid and scars to prove it.

By posting my question I wanted to see if there was anyone using the cross and to see if it's worth a try.

I've had co-workers that have tried the airdale and were not impressed with their nose for tracking or decoying, but tend to be a decent trapline dog.

Oh and that Chevy isn't a bad choice, I've liked all the ones I've owned.

Deano

My Freep dog was a Border Collie/Cur cross. She was the best dog Ive ever had, hands down! Very smart, athletic and obedient. She would try to kill anything I wanted her too, but was also content to leave it alone if I said no. Prolly will never have another like her.

My heeler is full blood. She looks just like a coyote. She is also very smart and obedient. A buddy had her give to him and just kept after me to take her. It was one of them deals that I seen her and liked the way she acted.

I wont cross the heeler, I already fixed her. Im content to just buy a puppy. Im not celebrating this dog just yet. She may be gun shy, hard to control or be scared of coyotes. Time will tell.

Im certainly not all Cur, all the time. Ive only had one full blood Cur and she was the second best dog Ive ever owned. I do think they are well suited for decoy work. I dont know anything about traplines or working under a plane etc. That is way out of my realm of expertise.
smile.gif

Btech,

Well said. Each dog is so different, even within breeds.

All ive ever ran has been mtn cur for work. Ive had one really good one and a few that were just ok.

If I do try the cross jagd/cur. I'll report back. For anyone interested in hearing what I have on the subject. I know a guy who has a litter. Time Will tell, I'll train it like I do all my dogs. Hope theyre worth the gamble.

I think I'll look into border/cur cross quite a bit more. I think there are some attributes that could come in handy. Theyre crazy smart dogs separately, should be good together.

Thanks again
Deano

Keep us posted Deano.

STS, I had to sell Freeper. I miss that little yellow dog. One of her parents died or I would get another of that cross.

Originally Posted By: btech29Keep us posted Deano.

STS, I had to sell Freeper. I miss that little yellow dog. One of her parents died or I would get another of that cross.

Btech,

Will do.

Deano

She's all ribs and legs. High energy is an understatement. She listens very well, I've never had a dog that would listen quite like her. Great with kids. She's got this hound bawl bark. None of my curs have sounded like this dog. It's more of a howl. She's 17.6lbs at 4months. All guesses are figuring in that 30lb range finished.

Xdeano

Back