Bushnell 4500 vs Diamondback hp/vx3

Ghilliedup2

Looking for a new medium power scope, with a 40-44mm obj , 2-4x on the low end. Gonna be used For plinking/shooting groups and calling dogs. Going on a compact 223 that won't be shot past 400 yds a whole lot. I'm really interested in the Bushnell 2.5-10x42 that's got a 30 percent;rebate, I can get it for $330 before rebate.

My question is how does the glass and tracking compare to the other 2 scopes I mentioned? I looked at the Diamondback hp and a vx1 locally and was surprised just how good the Diamondback was for the $320 price tag, plus it was a 4-16 which is more than I really need and the heaviest of the three but would be great for shooting groups.
Never looked through a vx3i but it's on sale and in my budget.

Not really needing any bells or whistles, A standard duplex is fine, but I want resettable turrets and dependable adjustments

Opinions? Other suggestions?

Also the Burris ffe1 scopes are intriguing but I'm not sure they are on the same level with glass quality.

Last edited:
It sounds great on paper lol just wish I could check one out in person. I've also just came across some great deals on vx-2's so now I'm really unsure which way to go lol

Diamondback HP has nice glass, Vx1 really isnt in the ballgame anymore, a real sleeper scope you should check out that has amazing glass is Bushnells Extreame Trophy line with 30mm tube. Discontinued for some unknown reason? Razor sharp right to edges, compared in brightness with a Zeiss Conquest! Had a bigger FOV at same power as a Vx3i and my Vx6!!! Side focus and
Great reticle, dirt cheap closeouts and still has that 30% rebate until tomorrow.
I have installed 4 of them on customers guns this month, the 4x16 is most popular one with DOA reticle. Only downside it does weigh 18.5 oz. Glass is more inline with 6500 series. Amazing value.Comes with the "no questions asked warantee," lifetime,transferable.
Even if you drive over it!!!
Good luck.
E

Last edited:
Not to push vortex but I have a diamondback hp and used it last year shooting groundhogs and for fox at night, I had no problems or complaints, it is very clear and the price is good.

Ok well I decided to give the elite 4500 a try and then before i paid for it I found out the 30 percent promo ended yesterday so i guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Probably just gonna go with the vortex since I know it's better than what I already have and has a great warranty.

If you order from Natchezs, they do have a return policy if you dont mount the scope on a rifle. On several occasions ive order 3 or 4 scopes, only needing one, and looked thru all to compare and then keep the one i want and return the others.

I'm really surprised that Natchez actually allows this and I have called and specifically told them what I had planned to do and they were fine with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ghilliedup2That's interesting, never considered it. Thanks just be sure and read the fine print because you have a limited time frame to get it back to them

I currently use a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 on my coyote rifle. IMO, Leupold glass is head and shoulders above Vortex on comparable mid range optics.

I shot a Viper for years and always talked highly of them. It's still mounted on my VSF .223.

The Leupold outclasses it in almost every way. I wont buy another Vortex.

I have two 4200 2.5-10x40. I find it better than vx3, sightron big sky, and nikon monarch. Not sure if the 4500 is as good, but I hate that the 4500 no longer has a locking eye piece. You can pick up the 4200 cheap on ebay if you are patient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougIn the price range you are looking you can get a better quality scope in a Hawke or an Athlon and get change back

Better than the D.B. hp? Or the Bushnell 4500? All the Athlon scopes I've seen were loaded up with tactical stuff I don't want. What model of Athlon are you referring to? I will give them a look

Originally Posted By: SeebassI currently use a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 on my coyote rifle. IMO, Leupold glass is head and shoulders above Vortex on comparable mid range optics.

I shot a Viper for years and always talked highly of them. It's still mounted on my VSF .223.

The Leupold outclasses it in almost every way. I wont buy another Vortex.

I've been looking online at the vx3i in 3.5-10x40 with a standard duplex for $399. Compared to the Db 3-12x42 for $329 with a $50 gift card included.so basically a difference of $120 plus the vortex has both lower and higher mag and also side parallax vs fixed on the Vx3i. Since the Db hp uses the same glass as a Viper would you say the vx3i is that much better to overcome the $ and feature differences? Thanks

I own several VX 3 and 2 Bushnell 4200s and a 4500. I can honestly say the Leopold is my favorite but Bushnell has the clearest/brightest glass. Also has the best light transmission in the low light and is head and shoulders above the rest. I do not own any diamondback so I cannot comment about that

I have a VX-3 and Elite 4200, I’ve mounted numerous Diamondbacks and a few 4500’s. It would be a tough decision for me between a 4500 and VX-3. Either one to me is vastly superior to a Diamondback, especially in low light. I can’t speak to Athlon because I’ve never seen one. I did buy a Hawke Endurance 2-7 with IR to go on a 30-30. When it came the reticle wasn’t daylight bright and the glass wasn’t as good as the Burris Fullfield II I already had on the rifle. So I sold the Hawke. I have a lot of respect for you Doug but after my experience and looking through some other Hawke scopes, I don’t believe they are in the same league as a Bushnell Elite 4500 or VX-3i.

10ring, I've read a few times now about the low light performance on the Bushnell 4200/4500 series and their upper end models. Although I plan on getting a standard duplex next time it seems to me that Bushnell is really holding themselves back by not offering a better BDC reticle, the DOA radical is one of the worst I've seen on a hunting rifle scope, way too cluttered.

I'm curious, you mention the 4500 has that good of glass what makes you prefer the vx3 over it?

Back