22 Creedmoor bushing question

newmexkid

Well, I ordered a 22 CM 1:8 barrel yesterday from PacNor yesterday. I will be necking down, (as I already have them) 6.5 CM Peterson brass. I would like some suggestions on bushing sizes that I should get.

To figure bushing size: take neck thickness of brass x 2 then add bullet diameter. That will give you the outside diameter of a loaded round. Then subtract 0.002-0.003 for neck tension and that is the bushing size. This only works as intended when not using an expander in the bushing die. If you are using an expander, then measure that at its largest point with your caliper and pick a bushing 2 to 3 thou smaller.

Also of note to the first part of my post. Your necks with get thicker at 22 cal compared to the 6.5 virgin necks so you might need to adjust your bushing size accordingly once you know how much thicker.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorTo figure bushing size: take neck thickness of brass x 2 then add bullet diameter. That will give you the outside diameter of a loaded round. Then subtract 0.002-0.003 for neck tension and that is the bushing size. This only works as intended when not using an expander in the bushing die. If you are using an expander, then measure that at its largest point with your caliper and pick a bushing 2 to 3 thou smaller.

Also of note to the first part of my post. Your necks with get thicker at 22 cal compared to the 6.5 virgin necks so you might need to adjust your bushing size accordingly once you know how much thicker.

I'm fine on the process. I don't use the expander in my bushing dies. Just trying to get an idea on bushings before I order the sizing die and some bushings. Hope I don't have to turn my necks. I like doing the process and hate it...If that makes sense!

If your fine on the process then you don't need any suggestions of which bushings. You just need to math and you will get the info.

Bushings are fine but I don't care for them as much as the next person might.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorIf your fine on the process then you don't need any suggestions of which bushings. You just need to math and you will get the info.

Bushings are fine but I don't care for them as much as the next person might.

Your post made me read mine again.

What I meant to write was the size of bushings folks used to size the
case down. Different folks use different steps and that's what I am looking for. Using other folks steps as a guide I would then have an idea on what bushings sizes to look at. Trying to shortstop the process and trying to order everything I would need, (hopefully) on the first order.

Oh that clears things up and then I had it wrong. I thought you were looking for the final bushing size.

You can size down in steps up to around 0.020-0.025 but I have had much better luck staying closer to about 0.012-0.015.

I haven't done the math but from 6.5mm to 22 cal you will prob want 3 if not 4 bushings. The last of which being the final size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOh that clears things up and then I had it wrong. I thought you were looking for the final bushing size.

You can size down in steps up to around 0.020-0.025 but I have had much better luck staying closer to about 0.012-0.015.

I haven't done the math but from 6.5mm to 22 cal you will prob want 3 if not 4 bushings. The last of which being the final size.

Well, you are the 2nd person to suggest starting at -.012. That's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: newmexkidOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOh that clears things up and then I had it wrong. I thought you were looking for the final bushing size.

Well, you are the 2nd person to suggest starting at -.012. That's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

Told ya so!!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI run from 6 Creed to 22 in one step. Cant see you needing more than two from 6.5 to 22.

With a bushing die? Is it a specific 22 creed bushing die?

Last edited:
I originally didn't catch your using 6 creed brass to start with. Your prob moving the neck down around 0.018 to get down to .251. Well within what I stated earlier as doable. Also, going from 6.5 down you need to squeeze the neck something like 0.040 to get down to 22 cal. Again it is doable in .020 increments. Ive done it but for me the brass turns out better going in smaller steps.

Back