Does anyone ever sit, and not call?

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater I'm hunting coyotes that won't come out into even a small opening at night, and rarely, very, very rarely ever give up their location unless it's the middle of summer. So...if I can't get them out, and can't find them, exactly how do I go about this other than countless blind stands? My original post was asking about sitting and not calling. You basically gave me information I already knew and try to put into practice, but it's hard when you can't find coyotes when the sun is up. Do I just follow tracks for miles?

You realize you seemingly know enough to offer up advice that's all over the internet, but have never hunted here. What would you do if you heard coyotes once on maybe thirty locating trips? Always found tracks, but never could get a howl during the day. I'm hunting a ghost, man. The last coyote I called in barked twice like a domestic dog, the. just showed up ten minutes later. There were domestics near where it barked from. So...

from reading many of your posts it seems to me that you are somewhat fixated on locating or hearing coyotes before you try to hunt/call them. just because you do not hear coyotes does not mean there is no coyotes in the area. if it is coyote type country there is very likely coyotes in the area. if you are passing up places because you do not hear coyotes you are probably passing up plenty chances at calling coyotes.

i very, very, very seldom hear coyotes. but i still call and kill a fair number.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater I'm hunting coyotes that won't come out into even a small opening at night, and rarely, very, very rarely ever give up their location unless it's the middle of summer. So...if I can't get them out, and can't find them, exactly how do I go about this other than countless blind stands? My original post was asking about sitting and not calling. You basically gave me information I already knew and try to put into practice, but it's hard when you can't find coyotes when the sun is up. Do I just follow tracks for miles?

You realize you seemingly know enough to offer up advice that's all over the internet, but have never hunted here. What would you do if you heard coyotes once on maybe thirty locating trips? Always found tracks, but never could get a howl during the day. I'm hunting a ghost, man. The last coyote I called in barked twice like a domestic dog, the. just showed up ten minutes later. There were domestics near where it barked from. So...

from reading many of your posts it seems to me that you are somewhat fixated on locating or hearing coyotes before you try to hunt/call them. just because you do not hear coyotes does not mean there is no coyotes in the area. if it is coyote type country there is very likely coyotes in the area. if you are passing up places because you do not hear coyotes you are probably passing up plenty chances at calling coyotes.

i very, very, very seldom hear coyotes. but i still call and kill a fair number.

So, how do you approach an area? I'm perfectly fine with not hearing them. My trouble begins after sitting an hour (NOT calling a whole hour) and nothing shows. Do you pack it up and leave, or do you move deeper into the woods?

I guess my main concern is bumping coyotes as I walk into the woods. Then once I get so far in, I wonder if I didn't spook them all. The past few weeks I've been setting up on, or near, fresh tracks every time. Generally, it's been that most coyotes here will make a noise IF they're coming in, of IF they're close. Even if it's a few barks.

With not hearing them do you have more blank stands than successful stands?

To answer your original question, I have never just sat without calling. I try to hunt in the woods or on the edges, never had much luck in the open. What I have concluded is that tracks and scat are all good indicators of coyotes in the area, but the "when" is the most important factor. They do travel quite a bit, and I think it is just plain luck that you can set up when they are close enough to hear you.
I do believe hunting eastern coyotes requires a bit of luck, I have tried to figure them out but they have so many advantages that it is difficult. I will go 20-30 blank stands and then kill a double within 5 minutes just like a Furtakers show, then go blank for another 20-30 stands. This sport has really tested my persistence.

Originally Posted By: ZcustomTo answer your original question, I have never just sat without calling. I try to hunt in the woods or on the edges, never had much luck in the open. What I have concluded is that tracks and scat are all good indicators of coyotes in the area, but the "when" is the most important factor. They do travel quite a bit, and I think it is just plain luck that you can set up when they are close enough to hear you.
I do believe hunting eastern coyotes requires a bit of luck, I have tried to figure them out but they have so many advantages that it is difficult. I will go 20-30 blank stands and then kill a double within 5 minutes just like a Furtakers show, then go blank for another 20-30 stands. This sport has really tested my persistence.

This is basically what I've concluded as well. It doesn't take much to call a coyote in. It takes a ton of effort to be there when they're there. If they're in the area, they're usually coming in within the first 15 minutes. But then I've had odd balls show up at the 45 and 65 minute marks! I've also noticed when calling with a partner that our sound barely travels in these dense woods and steep hillsides. I think that's a factor, too.

What's frustrating is when I have people tell me to talk less, listen more, and watch. Yeah...I've logged as many hours studying these animals, reading information, following decent killers on Facebook, watching YouTube videos, picking the brains of experienced hunters to the point of being downright annoying, and learning from all of my mistakes. I take everything I've learned and I apply to every single stand. Like you, I end up with a pile of blank stands. It keeps you wondering what in the [beeep] you're doing wrong.

The majority of PA hunters agree that after rifle deer season the calling is doubly hard. I've called in two coyotes or fox after rifle deer season and the minute I ease my gun light on they hightail it out of there. Before rifle deer season it was a [beeep] free for all. Coon and fox rushing the calls, coyotes sometimes howling while calling for fox. Then after deer season it was like every animal in the woods left the state! They didn't, because I found tracks, but they were sticking to the most impassable territory available.

As usual, I'll stick with it, keep learning and keep getting frustrated. Right now our coyotes have been unbelievably pressured. I learned this weekend that the local dog runners have been running them every day of the week (retired hunters), and usually all day Saturday and Sunday. It doesn't help since they're using howls to try and locate before sending out the dogs.

Here's my $.02, I haven't been as successful as you, so take it for what it's worth.
I'd try setting up on that den, like you said, but I don't think I'd try sneaking in while it's still dark, I think you have a better chance of getting busted in the dark. I'd go in mid to late day, they should be good and hungry by then. I'd set up as far away, downwind, from the den as you can and still see it. Put the caller halfway to the den, but to your left or right, whichever side affords them cover.
Give it 30 minutes or so without any calling, then give them some very soft vole or mouse squeaks, nothing loud and see what happens. They should come out of the den, try circling around downwind of the sound, and right into your lap...if you don't kill them right as they exit the den.
If they don't come out, get a little louder, if that doesn't work, play the rabbit.
If they still don't come out, break out the headlamp and wait until dark. Coming out of a dark den they might not be as spooked by a light if they're eyes are still adjusting.

Originally Posted By: reloader326Here's my $.02, I haven't been as successful as you, so take it for what it's worth.
I'd try setting up on that den, like you said, but I don't think I'd try sneaking in while it's still dark, I think you have a better chance of getting busted in the dark. I'd go in mid to late day, they should be good and hungry by then. I'd set up as far away, downwind, from the den as you can and still see it. Put the caller halfway to the den, but to your left or right, whichever side affords them cover.
Give it 30 minutes or so without any calling, then give them some very soft vole or mouse squeaks, nothing loud and see what happens. They should come out of the den, try circling around downwind of the sound, and right into your lap...if you don't kill them right as they exit the den.
If they don't come out, get a little louder, if that doesn't work, play the rabbit.
If they still don't come out, break out the headlamp and wait until dark. Coming out of a dark den they might not be as spooked by a light if they're eyes are still adjusting.

I wouldn't call my hunting successful so far. Sure, I'm getting them in, but getting them to commit that last 10 yards has proven more difficult than I anticipated. I'm headed out tonight to see if I can't drag what "might" be a lone coyote running this farm. Going to run the headlamp to the point of barely being able to ID, and same with the gun light. Let the scope do the work.

As for the den, I think an evening sit might be a good idea. I discovered this den around 9:30 am and there were no coyotes around. It doesn't mean they weren't there at day break, but the landowners all say they hear them back there in the evening. Quiet squeaks in a brush pile is how I'll start. The back side of the den is all timbered property, so there's tons of cover, the front is a river hill/mountain, and where I'll be sitting is a pine thicket.

I have a couple locations, each year I shoot 1-3 coyotes, no bait or calling. I wait for a day with rising temps and wind laying down before sunset. These locations are travel routes between several culverts used as dens and cattle yards. I usually hit them late November or early December. The coyote like to run down the east side of the drainage ditches, I set up above and east(200 yards)of the ditch about a hour before sunset. I have shot coyote at these locations for almost 20 years, the locations are safe(when I'm not there) out of sight of roads. It is about 2-3 miles between the culverts and yards, I am in the middle of the section between sections.

Back