Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50 Opinions (UPDATE w/ review)

Originally Posted By: jp_overShelton,

Excellent review! Do you still have the scope and if so how's it doing for you?

Thanks!

I do still have it. Haven't got to run the turrets much but what I have ran them they have tracked correctly. The biggest issue is for sure the reticle if you are using it for hunting. Very hard to see in low light. Other than that I have no complaints about it. Pretty damm clear especially for the price point. If you are planning on using it for hunting I would go with the duplex reticle. If I rescope my 270 I will likely put the 3-16 version on it.

Originally Posted By: shelton573I will add more info as I continue to get more range time behind it.

Please do. I'm considering this scope to put on my new 24" 223 wylde upper.

I just bought a slightly used Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20X50 with the MV varmint (X-Mas tree type) reticle for $300 (couldn't pass that deal up) and mounted it on my new Savage 12FV 223 and hope to get some range time with it to see how well I like it but I like the MOA-2 reticle that is on the Sightron and the fact it has a 30MM tube and has the taller target type resettable turrets.

Originally Posted By: shelton573I'm off for 11 days for Christmas so I will likely get some time in with the rifle and will report back.

And I'm on seasonal lay off right now so I will likely get some time to do whatever I want to do. Which will probably include some coyote hunting, which would be great with a second set of eyes, wink, wink.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTROriginally Posted By: shelton573I'm off for 11 days for Christmas so I will likely get some time in with the rifle and will report back.

And I'm on seasonal lay off right now so I will likely get some time to do whatever I want to do. Which will probably include some coyote hunting, which would be great with a second set of eyes, wink, wink.
wink.gif

Man if I was still down the road from you I'd head that way lol. I moved back to southern Missouri though.

Originally Posted By: shelton573Originally Posted By: IAyoteHNTROriginally Posted By: shelton573I'm off for 11 days for Christmas so I will likely get some time in with the rifle and will report back.

wink.gif

Man if I was still down the road from you I'd head that way lol. I moved back to southern Missouri though.

Ahhhh...........didn't know you went South. That's ok, I know who to hit up for a place to rifle hunt for deer next year now.
wink.gif

Just a quick update...I shot about 50 rds through the 6 creedmoor yesterday. The ranges ran from 200 yds to 1435 yds. I have the rifle zeroed at 200 (1" high at 100). I walked out from 200 to 460, to 600. We put up some 600 yd F class targets and each one of us shot a 10 shot group. After that, I moved on to 780, 960, 1120 with no issues. Turrets seemed to essentially duplicate what the Ballistics AE app called for. After I hit at 1120 a few times, I ran one shot out to 1435. I hit the 2'x2' plate on the first shot and called it a day (wanted to end on a good note and didn't really expect to hit it any way hah). To get to that distance, I had to run 42.75 MOA of elevation and 8.5 MOA of wind due to the 7-10 mph wind. Once I hit the plate, i ran the elevation and windage turrets back down to zero, moved to the 200 yd target and made sure I was still on. I punched the center of the target at 200 so the scope tracked true on this particular outing. I plan to do quite a bit of shooting over the next 3 weeks so I will keep everyone updated. The only issue I had is when I was done, my windage zero set screws came loose and the cap is spinning now. All I have to do is zero and tighten down and should be good to go.

Reviving this post since I am about to receive my new Sightron 4-20X50 S-Tac in the next few days.

It will be going on my Savage 243 which is purpose built as somewhat of an affordable long range steel banger/hunting/possible PRS rig. I had a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP on this rig for a while and used that set-up to shoot out 1000 yards with ease. I'll see if the Sightron S-Tac is up to the same task sometime this Spring, but with Shelton's review, I'm confident it will be.

I actually prefer the thinner lines in a reticle and a dot but that's just a personal preference thing.

If anyone else has any updated experience/opinions on this particular scope, please add to the discussion. Thanks.

I still run the 4-20 on my creedmoor and put a 3-16 on my AR. Still love both of them. I had the 3-16 on my 270 when I shot my deer this year. Pulled in light well enough to easily shoot him 8 min before shooting hours were up. My brother used my creedmoor in low light deer hunting behind my house and missed an opportunity shooting a doe because he could not see the MOA reticle. Said the scope was bright and clear for the conditions but couldn’t pick it up. Still pleased with both.

Originally Posted By: shelton573I still run the 4-20 on my creedmoor and put a 3-16 on my AR. Still love both of them. I had the 3-16 on my 270 when I shot my deer this year. Pulled in light well enough to easily shoot him 8 min before shooting hours were up. My brother used my creedmoor in low light deer hunting behind my house and missed an opportunity shooting a doe because he could not see the MOA reticle. Said the scope was bright and clear for the conditions but couldn’t pick it up. Still pleased with both.

Thanks for the updates. I just received my 4-20X50 S-Tac with MOA reticle yesterday and put it on my 223 bolt gun for now. Optics Planet had a killer 2-day deal on them, $380 w/free ship.
thumbup1.gif

I'm seriously considering buying/putting the 3-16 version on my AR now.

Last edited:
My fear proved true yesterday..the MOA reticle is just too thin for dawn and dusk hunting. I missed a last light called coyote last night, partially because I could not find my reticle, and when I turned the magnification up to use the elevation hashes...the glass got dark.

I still kike the scope. A lot....just not for this use.

The last two nights(full moon and snow) I could see the moa hash and dot on 4 power. But I don't think I could have seen the dot on a coyote. The scope view was clear and focus adjustment was sharp. Easier to see with the scope then the naked eye, I think the illuminated moa dot would be sweet for moonlight hunting. I sat to midnight trying to pick off coyote eating a farmer's cats,and looked through the scope several times between 8pm and midnight. The second night there were clouds and wind but view through scope was still very good.

Just re-read this thread - still great info!

I regretted selling my Sightron Big Sky II 4.6-16x42 AO so I purchased another one (used since the model is discontinued). For hunting, the duplex reticle they offer is difficult to beat. Here's a picture in low light at 20 yards (low resolution is due to our old camcorder but you can get a good idea of the reticle size):

CVXDD9p.jpg

Shelton, I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying your scopes. I would have replied sooner but didn't have "auto subscribe" enabled on this forum.

Last edited:
I put one with the duplex reticle on my 22-250 in February. Went back to the farm with the cat eater. Moonlight was partially cloud obstructed about 9:30 pm a coyote showed up at 110 yards, I was able to see the crosshair and the coyote clearly(scope set on 5 power). One shot drt. A lighted center dot would be helpful, would make a quick shot easier.

Last edited:
Back