Mother Nature’s Gift

Wile E Coyotie

sitting inside here watching the tops of the trees blowing in the 30MPH winds out-
Temps are plus 5 and the snow pack is getting beat up with the power of the sun on it and the wind - out there

near record snow fall for our area most of the past 2 months - trying to get anywhere -off grid is zero-access- unless u go snowmo-- which is unlimited access--

i have been placing calls from ranchers talking about groups/packs of coyotes surrounding their heifers
i have tried to get out and sit at few of these places - but most of them are tractor access only - and so this means sitting long lengthy stents on the hillside or if u lucky in the hay stack-

and yes i will admit after sitting a good bunch of the day along side of the calving pasture- the rewards of taking out a pre-described extra large aggressive male coyote who at the ranch has now become known as "the big white one"- makes sitting and watching the day go by easier -

- from my vantage point i could see 4 coyotes most of the aft Feasting on Gophers -

This wonderful harvest of tasty 2 bite- meat sandwich-from heaven below - had them 4 coyotes- so indulging into the frenzy- i tell u- -u could throw snow balls at them --if the snow waznt up to my crotch each step -they'd be in trouble for sure - that and the 3/4 of mile of open snow covered stubble field --a younger me would have been out there chasing them wild-

one has to ponder - the gophers perspective for a moment pls-- fat and full from a winters stash of food-waking up from a winter slumber -- almost unified to the day-as an invasion of thousands - to digg through- the illuminated crusted snow cover of the late March deposit - 2 feet average-depth- 50 square miles -with absolutely -nothing to eat--only to b eaten - Fox Owls Hawks Coyote

-if u had 500 rnds of .22 cal ammo it would not have been enough- the ground -(snow white for as far as u can see) crawling with Gophers-- and the snow tight enough for coyote to easy consume a belly full--Mother Natures gift - there u go - U have starve almost to death and survive extreme cold living in a hole for the past 3 months- Feast she says -consume the bounty-for here today - gone today -.220 swift -away

#1059 adult Fmale sable dark sable

on the opposite side of the fence line just out of view is the calving pasture - about 75 old crocs (old cows) are spread out through it- at about-80 acres in size - with a deep draw down the center of it -i am on high ground and its 400 yards to the far side --

The rancher already warned me about the cows being aggressive towards anything smaller than his horse -
which was much bigger and whiter than any of the cows -by the way --- mentioning the big black cow attacked the ATV and hired man giving him the sore ribs deal before he was able to get away - -so i respected that and knew - i would not be prancing around -or crawling- in the pasture after the introduction

late in the aft - i notice sure enough -a large coyote mixed in with the cows -at the far end- my excitement level meter went off- its been awhile and i began in full stalk mode to close the distance --it did mean that i would b on the ground inside the pasture with the cows- but- around the back side of a big hill out of sight and my wind would b good -

topping out on the back side of the hill- sitting watching was a 2nd coyote- i was making too much noise and he spooked running right past me without a shot fired -

--i was certain it was a different coyote -so letting it go- as i was topping out again i could see the coyote mixed in watching me as where all the cows -@ 325Yrs - or so i thought-- -

unknown to me as i setup for the shot - getting rangefinder - getting seated --bipod deployed -clip engaged--closing bolt- finding center -going hot- -talking to myself to -hold low- he is much lower than u- hold low ---i can hear hooves clomping in the ground -i can feel hooves clomping in the ground -`off to my left-a black cow -is inbound-she holds up just short to evaluate how easy of fluff pie i will b to neutralize -snot foaming from here face-

i went to school of hard knocks so was pretty easy for me to live with the rule --If u pull it u gotta b prepared to use it - i centered on the big dog standing looking at me on 10x
--#1060 -adult male white sable dark dark- on ignition- -the black old croc turned and run to its klan - The coyote catching it a little back of the rib @ 346 yrds- squirming on the ground - now with the other cows gathering around - the old black cow rodeoing in-
i took the time to get back to the safety of my truck which taxed me and i called it a day-

The Rancher reporting there is not much left to the coyote carcass -for me to make use of- but that he would give me the agreed bounty. and there is plenty of them everywhere- access and time - countryside is completely shut down- will b a wet spring melt off--

i spent 22 days @ Nanuk in Feb March - most of u know -about the lodge -
we where doing DEN programs for mother n Cubs polar bear expeditions --so just to share more-these are not my photos but part of our team

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Back