Tactical Ordnance 6X6.8 FRom RPG Long With Pics

GLShooter

Ritch built me a new upper using with a Tactical Ordnance 6X6.8 barrel a couple months ago but thanks to the Arizona winter being wetter and windier than normal I had not shot it. I’ve been getting reports on how well these barrels shoot and was anxious about getting it to the range. The chamber on this one is cut to the original specifications and designed to allow for reaching the lands with most bullets from the ASC magazines I favor that will load out to 2.316.

As many of you know Starline has come out with 6.8 SPC brass. I have lots of 6.8 made by Federal and Silver State but wanted to evaluate it at the same time. I decided to run these against same same loads using old Silver State Armory brass. Case forming was easy this time as I used the new one step custom Hornady dies that we had ordered. The cases were as pristine coming out as going in.

So here goes the range report of my foray. The set up as I used that day in the desert is pretty basic. Temperatures ranged form 83 to 97 degrees over a six hour period. I shot three different rifles that day and put around 250 rounds down range. I hadn’t touched a long gun in almost four months and my technique was terrible. I do need to go in and readjust the trigger as the let off was a bit inconsistent and in tandem with my poor bench work I turned many ½” groups into 0.8’s and 0.9’s. Lots of yips..LOL

iw0iNp6.jpg

I fired a couple rounds to get on at 25 yards and moved out to 100 yards. This one shows the first three groups I shot from this tube. I knew it had some potential after the five shotter. H322 has been getting some good press here for the 6X6.8 and this barrel likes it. My other ones have not responded this well.

eNaBgnO.jpg

I moved on to some H4895 and was pleased how it handled it. This one is one of my favorite powders in the 6.8 variants.

A9b4aAt.jpg

The above groups were all Starline. I backed up the H4895 group with some SSA and baring the leaker I was a happy camper as it would have been right at a nice 0.4.

AV472IY.jpg

I did try some groups with RL15. I use it in my long range 6X6.8's and wanted to try it in the short tube. The speeds as noted across the board in this 18" barrel are quite nice and RL15 sure carried the mail there.

9MQ3ZmI.jpg

I was pleased on that one but some SSA loaded up a bit more made me giggle. Three shots yielded a happy dance for me.

kLYL2WU.jpg

Across the board I was happy with the 85’s in this barrel. Now for the scoop on the brass. Firing same same loads in the SL vs.the SSA I found that none of the Silver State had issues in rim or ejector markings. On the Starline out of 50 cases fired I experienced mild rim bending from the lowest to highest in all three powders. The H322 that I shot first was relatively mild to start but at 27.0 grains I was seeing definite bend. The H4895 loads showed nothing on the lower loads but quickly bent and ripped rims at a grain higher level of 29.1. Not good. The RL15 loads at 29 were showing bending with the 30.0 showing slight burrs and ejector markings. Assessment? Not a good choice for these. The decreased capacity is working against the brass as is the obvious softness.

Numbers are L-R top to bottom.

6tzmRx8.jpg

6X6.8 STARLINE H322 1/2 26.0 RL15 3/4 29.0 H4895 5/6 28.1
................................7/8 27.0.... 9/10 30.0 ..... 11/12 29.1
The SSA brass below was the same charge weights at those above them.

As you can see many had the rims bent and some more than a tad. I've shot these loads before with no issue so it was showing me I have very soft brass and a case capacity reduction working against it.

The above rounds put the cartridge squarely at home as a deer cartridge but since the 6X6.8 was originally designed as a varmint round it was necessary to try out some 58 ZMAX to see how this one would do. For this test it was the same same loadings using SL and SSA brass but using only H322. MWP and Ritch have hounded me on this combo and my BHW barrels I've shot them in have not been very inspiring.

I shot the Starline through three levels of 30.7 to 31.1. The groups were 0.873-1.112-0772. Not bad for a quick test. The unfortunate thing was the rims were bent at the lowest level slightly and the 0.772 is a two shot group that blew primers on both of the cases and ripped the rims off. I deferred testing above the 31.1 level on that basis.

I then duplicated the charge levels from 30.7 to 31.5 with 0.2 between steps using SSA brass. Even at the highest charge weight I saw no case head indications of issues. There were no bent or ripped rims. The primers were nice on these and better yet stayed in the case. The last five down range in this one made me feel like it would be worth a re-shoot.

AICsYZk.jpg

To show what happened here look at these. L-R were the SL with H322 at 30.7-309 and a pair at 31.1. The rims on the SL on the first two are bent right near the stars .Directly below are the same in the SSA with the two to the right being 31.3 and 31.5. Not how nice the primers look on even the top load with no swipes or extraction marking.

XDXgILG.jpg

Across the board I can say that this barrel with the OG chambering is shooting better than any of the other three I own. It is showing to be very easy to tune with virtually no work. Across the powder choices it gave me something in each to tell me I have lots of options and if the ZMAX load on a first outing with H322 is any indication this one will be a dream to work with on varmints.

I can say that the Starline will not be added to my brass supply line at this time. I did shoot some against brand new 6.8 also and even at a very moderate charge level it exhibited some rim bending in comparison to Hornady, Remington, SSA and Federal. Factory Hornady with the 110 VMAX that was hotter than my test loads did not have any issues. I went so far as to severely under-gas all of these to help tings along to no avail.

I have been forwarded some communications from SL that says they are reworking their brass for harder case head and walls for the future. Wile the brass is certainly usable they are aware that it can be improved and I will await the revamp.

Just my little report from the desert last week.

Greg

PS: The Hornady dies were a joy to use and after seeing the 22X6.8 batch that MWP showed I might up the heavy $$'s for a one off set of those too.

Holy cow... those speeds are from a 18 inch tube??? thats pretty impressive. I must have missed the rain and wind when I was there last month.

That 18 inch barrel is grouping and sending those 58's at a real nice pace. A 22 or 24 inch barrel would send them smoking down range.

Originally Posted By: FirehandHoly cow... those speeds are from a 18 inch tube??? thats pretty impressive. I must have missed the rain and wind when I was there last month.

Yes 18". This barrel is very fast.

Every time I wanted to hit the range it rained the night before or the wind was kicking up for almost two months. Of course the odd day when family was needing things is like the perfect storm!!
w00t.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat 18 inch barrel is grouping and sending those 58's at a real nice pace. A 22 or 24 inch barrel would send them smoking down range.

I told them I'd take what they have. That's an 8 twist BTW. I would have preferred a 9.

A 22" would be hauling tail for sure.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 204 ARThat's some good shooting! I'm bummed about the starline though.

The trigger was causing me some issues. The second stage felt heavy. The brake cleaner and I will have a go at it and then out will come the wrenches. Of course an almost four month lay off didn't help..LOL

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 3DHUSKERThat 18 inch barrel is grouping and sending those 58's at a real nice pace. A 22 or 24 inch barrel would send them smoking down range.

I told them I'd take what they have. That's an 8 twist BTW. I would have preferred a 9.

A 22" would be hauling tail for sure.

Greg

Wow, I think I need another 6.

A 6.8 to test the SL brass vs. four other types of 6.8 brass that showed the SL was even bending at very low load level.

The other was some 22X6.8 I had loaded last fall with RL15 and some 50's. Speed was good but the accuracy was not. I had some H322 loads but left them at home.

I am absolutely entralled with the little fast mover and what it does on PD's.

Greg

Greg,

I saw the same thing with Starline brass, in the few test loads I tried. Mine are loaded near the max., so I was curious just how warm loads had to be...As you show, mid-range loads are bending rims. Starline should have tested this, or known better.

One note, actually the REALLY old SSA brass just has "6.8" stamped on the head, versus "6.8 SPC". If you like "6.8 SPC" stamped brass, you would have really liked the "6.8" stamped brass. I really regret not buying more of both at the time it was available. I do have two bags of 100 "6.8" stamped brass stashed in my brass hoard, hoping to find a decent alternative.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
I do have two bags of 100 "6.8" stamped brass stashed in my brass hoard, hoping to find a decent alternative.

Squeeze

Have you tried any S&B brass available from Cavity Back Bullets? Some of the 6.8 guys use S&B and they seem to do very well. I have a bag of them to try whenever my 6x6.8 barrel gets here.

Greg,

GREAT write up! Thanks for all the great info. Not all cases are created equal...some are equaler than others. LOL.

Thank you for that info Squeeze. By old I was meaning that it was from way before SSA sold to Nosler. The head stamp thing is interesting. My goodness I have over 100 HOT 6X6.8 I shoot in my F-Class AR that has over a dozen firings on it and still growing strong. Heck I even grabbed some of it and made my very first A-30 cases with some of it and it had over 8 on it at that time. To go from 243 to 308 in one step and not split is unreal at that level IMHO.

So while mine is OLD it's not ANCIENT.
thumbup1.gif
I'm glad that you chimed in here. There is one fellow out in the hinterlands that is adamant that since he hasn't seen it implies it must not be real. I've had one other verification on another board about the rim movement.

We saw similar results in the rim damage in the first 22 Nosler yet the naysayers felt that what was being seen by some of us were anomalies only to find out later that many considered the damage "acceptable". Since then Nosler has fixed the mix and is mo-betta.

It would appear from the communications that were sent to me via third party that Starline has already started looking at this. I suppose that means my evaluation process is sound and that with your further verification we aren't the only voices in the dark.

I'm going to clean this stuff up and if I can get it in the shell holder and it holds primers I'm going to shoot it again but with 77's. I will shoot it along with the SSA to parallel the test.

Greg

Thanks for posting this info Greg. But you are making my wait for my barrel really tuff. I have a 20" 10 twist coming from Ritch and a set of dies coming from Nick. I just bought a 1000 58 vmax's on another site and got them Monday. I have 400 of the old SSA new in their bags and am about to wet my pants waiting to get my new Coyote gun together!

While we are the subject of 6.8spc brass......I fought Federal brass all day last Sunday trying to get 2 new 6x6.8 tubes to shoot. One from Ritch and one BHW. I finally got a few multi time fired Hornady csses from a buddy and and loaded 70 bts with 30 ar comp and 450s at 2.305." The 1 st five where about .625" center to center. My v16 reticle dot is that big and I feel like that is about as good as I can hold. I had 5 loaded at 29.7 grains and they were .750" center to center. Time to move on to the BHW now.
Do not waste your time with federal brass. The hornady is tippy top full at 30 ar comp but I have 250 cases on the way. They accuracy difference is unbelievable. With Fedral groups were about 1.5" maybe 1.25" if I got lucky.

Last edited:
I think that your experience is not unusual for some of that FC stuff. Not all of it is that bad. I use it almost exclusively for lots of my load work and it has done pretty well for me. I think I have 3,000 of them as the shear quantity of variants I work with precluded buying all the Hornady back then. Hopefully once the SL issue is sorted out it will give us a good hard option for a decent price for our primo work..

Greg

My BHW barrel likes the Fed brass just fine. Seems to like pretty much everything, though. I guess she's just easy.

Back