...Coyote Takes The Mundane 0ut 0f MonDay...

Infidel 762

Staff member
I had not hit this spot since last September. The layout is a quarter section of agricultural land with two small creeks running together forming a big “Y” in the center. I rested my back on what is left of old farm equipment from yester year. The wheat is getting tall enough that a coyote could look out across it and not see just bare ground. I elevated the call a couple inches above the wheat and started off with a couple howls. The area I suspect them of bedding is close, so I follow up with low and varied volumes of woodpecker. 2 or 3 minutes and I have a pair running across the open wheat.

I go about 350-400 yards further into the section and setup on a fence line above the next creek. I set the call right in the fence line and back track 20 or 25 yards and rested my back on that same fence. I tried to create the same scenario starting off with vocals followed by low and varied volumes of distress. Within 5 minutes I have a coyote standing midway on the elevation carved downward by the creek at around 50 or 60 yards.

She is just standing there staring at me; all I know to do is freeze and squint my eyes so she doesn’t see me blinking. She finally starts making her way towards the fence and as she goes under it I orientate my rifle. She starts closing the distance, leaving me with an approx. 40 yard shot straight down and thru the fence.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I only hunt them when the fur is prime. I stop hunting sum time round early February and leave em be til the following winter. Rest of the year I uno, parcheesi and sell peanuts.

Yeah, these 2 little females sure bought into the peanuts I have been selling.

2 quick stands after work... Mondays would be less lackadaisical if they all closed out like this one.

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullThose are great pictures. I gotta ask do you use your phone to take those pictures or are you packing a camera with you.

Nope they are all taken from my IPhone. They turn real grainy shortly after sunset or low light.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good job! Any theory on the red tails?

Regards,
hm
That ones tail is bloody from being dragged the other I'm not sure why it has a darker tail. I have hunted a long time and never even seen one, but a black coyote would be the crown jewel amongst my taxidermy critters. Predator wise, got a couple pretty special deer mounts...

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Originally Posted By: OchocobullThose are great pictures. I gotta ask do you use your phone to take those pictures or are you packing a camera with you.

Nope they are all taken from my IPhone. They turn real grainy shortly after sunset or low light.

I got to get a new fricking iPhone then cause mine look like hammered dog crap. It can't be the guy behind the camera so it must be the equipment. Thanks again and keep up the great work. It is truly appreciated.

Back