First night out with the Flir PTS233

RiverNick

Last night was the first night out with the Flir Thermosight PTS233. I absolutely love this sight. After predator calling for 5 minutes we had what we thought was a coyote show up at the tree line roughly 250-300 yards out. After some time we decided the coyote wasn't coming any closer, and it was time to take a shot. I took a shot and dropped what turned out to be a bobcat with a headshot. Is there a way to post video or pictures? It's clearly a lucky headshot, but the scope's performance is very nice and worth taking a look.

River, to post photos you will need to get a hosting site. Many, including myself are using Flickr. I understand that you can also do videos though I haven't done any yet in Flickr. You can also upload videos to YouTube and then post a link here in Predator Masters. Go into Flickr and set up an account to upload your photos to.

"what we thought was a coyote show up at the tree line roughly 250-300 yards out".
"I took a shot and dropped what turned out to be a bobcat"

Think about that. What if it had turned out to be a pet, calf, deer, person?

Please don't take offence at my reply. I'm not trying to start an argument but 250-300 yards is a long ways out there for positive ID through a 320 thermal.

RN, I'm not trying to "bust your chops either" but 1trkyhntr is absolutely correct here. Not good to shoot thinking it is one type of animal and turns out to be something or someone else. Positive ID is imperative.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpRN, I'm not trying to "bust your chops either" but 1trkyhntr is absolutely correct here. Not good to shoot thinking it is one type of animal and turns out to be something or someone else. Positive ID is imperative. i agree with both of these. Highly highly dangerous to shoot at something without 100% positive ID and confidence that u know what ur target is.

Unfortunately, we see more and more of this with thermal, giving hunters the false sense of security with PID. To the OP, thank you for your honesty, not many would speak transparency on the hunt.
smile.gif

I had my regrets for taking the shot and my reservations about posting this in the first place.
First of all, I completely agree with each of you. Even though there wasn't a house/pet in a 10 mile radius, I can't disagree that a shot should not have been taken before I could ID the animal. The fact that we had seen several coyotes in the area, and judging by the mannerisms, I took it for a coyote/predator and pulled the trigger. I'll be sure to use better judgement in the future.

Also, no offense taken. Say what needs to be said.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiverNickI had my regrets for taking the shot and my reservations about posting this in the first place.
First of all, I completely agree with each of you. Even though there wasn't a house/pet in a 10 mile radius, I can't disagree that a shot should not have been taken before I could ID the animal. The fact that we had seen several coyotes in the area, and judging by the mannerisms, I took it for a coyote/predator and pulled the trigger. I'll be sure to use better judgement in the future.

Also, no offense taken. Say what needs to be said.

As I mentioned I admire you for speaking the truth. What I highlighted in bold is what so many thermal device hunters I've read about rely on for one of the PID factors. It's always a false sense of security using "mannerisms". Thermal does NOT give finite details of critters like standard Night Vision Devices do except for a cooled array thermal system.

With all the "commercial" thermal systems out there, you have to get VERY close to really ID based on the resolution and magnification used with each device.

I am very conservative with my PID numbers and for Yotes with the PTS233 thermal (19mm 1.5x native magnification at 320 rez), I say 50-75 yards max for PID. Now with a dedicated 4x I^2 NV rifle scope, I can ID a Yote out at approx. 350 yards from a bobcat...Yes, I know the argument, I may not even detect the yote at the onset without thermal, but using a thermal hand held scanner to begin with and then go to a dedicated NV scope for the PID I surely know for sure what I'm shooting at.

Either way, using thermal only, one has to really get the critter in close to understand what one is REALLY shooting at.

RN, thanks for the response in a very positive manner. Thermal takes some time to wrap your mind around for ID. Standing still animals are much more difficult for sure but then coyotes don't normally stand still very long at the time. I don't find ID much of a problem with my Apex XD50A in calling situations out to roughly a couple of hundred yds. Animals that are standing still or coming straight at you are more difficult. A deer lying down in a field could be hard to separate out from the signature of a coyote or bobcat, but deer don't normally just lie around in a field when we are calling here.

Victor, I have an ATN X-sight 3-14x that I never really use due to size, weight, and having to use an external battery plus an IR torch which just adds to the weight. Also, the over-all performance is a little sketchy as it tends to freeze up. In your opinion,would it be better to use this as my dedicated scope, and the PTS233 as a monocular? Everyone else's opinion is welcome of course.

Originally Posted By: RiverNickVictor, I have an ATN X-sight 3-14x that I never really use due to size, weight, and having to use an external battery plus an IR torch which just adds to the weight. Also, the over-all performance is a little sketchy as it tends to freeze up. In your opinion,would it be better to use this as my dedicated scope, and the PTS233 as a monocular? Everyone else's opinion is welcome of course. Yes and No!

My suggestion would be to use the X-sight as a paperweight and buy another PTs233 as a monocular and the other as your dedicated scope.

If this is not an option i would use thermal for detection and the scope for shooting.

Originally Posted By: RiverNickVictor, I have an ATN X-sight 3-14x that I never really use due to size, weight, and having to use an external battery plus an IR torch which just adds to the weight. Also, the over-all performance is a little sketchy as it tends to freeze up. In your opinion,would it be better to use this as my dedicated scope, and the PTS233 as a monocular? Everyone else's opinion is welcome of course.

Sorry for the late response, been out of the office.

Agree with Mr. P as well to ditch the X-Sight as well. You can get a BREACH (PTQ-136) as great hand held spotter and keep using the PTS233 of get another PTS233. The main thing to note is you must get in much closer to ID, than your used to, MUCH closer. I say 50-75 yards as I mentioned the true ID range of a yote with the PTS-233.

Back