Two for Tuesday -One and Done Wednesday

Infidel 762

Staff member
As I knelt down on the dam of a small pond, my scent blew over the county road less than 150 yards behind me. I stare down into the drainage channel; it looks like a really good setup, other than its close proximity to the road and the possibility of them seeing my truck. As I squatted and contemplated making that stand, a coyote starts barking at me from across the road near my truck. Hearing that, I decide to go further into the section. As I begin to make my way down and into the channel a group responds to the barker with howls and yips, a few hundred yards away in my section.

I hastily made my way back up to the corner of the dam and setup with the open channel to my back. My scent now carries cross wind over the open water. The bluestem grass obscures visibility in the direction of their anticipated approach. I howl and they answer almost immediately. I wait a minute or two and go into distress, within seconds I see the tops of 3 coyotes bobbing toward me. They get close and then turn tail, leaving me with no good shot opportunity. I go into pup distress and the group comes back, but this time they are trying to circle the pond to get my wind. I finally got one stopped in the shorter grass of the irrigation channel that feeds into the pond.

As I continue on to my next stand, I can hear her mate behind me, yodeling trying to locate his deceased wife. When they do that it reminds me of the bonds domestic dogs develop with their owners and other dogs. It leads me to believe that coyote is capable similar emotions. I don’t think many people look at coyote from the angle that shows their affectionate side. Anyway, I traveled a little less than a quarter mile and broke another heart.

One and done Wednesday… I took out another mangy one.

Spring is swinging into full effect, one of my favorite times to hunt. Switch it up….

Looks like this is going to be a bad year for the mange in your area, Jeremy. Noticed #3's eyes appear a bit different. Did they appear to have been affected by the mange, also?

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: hm1996Looks like this is going to be a bad year for the mange in your area, Jeremy. Noticed #3's eyes appear a bit different. Did they appear to have been affected by the mange, also?

Regards,
Clarence

I think you are just seeing his cornea. The last Mangy one I shot had hers milked almost completely opaque...

Jeremy How far do you shoot those 40 grains with still good results? I ask because my 223 really loves the 40 grainers but I don't know how far is to far for a shot.

Originally Posted By: BearJeremy How far do you shoot those 40 grains with still good results? I ask because my 223 really loves the 40 grainers but I don't know how far is to far for a shot.

Honestly I don't think I can answe that, I shoot very few coyotes out further than 200 yards. I would guess 90% are less than 100. If I see them in a field out past 350 yards or so I usually don't even shoot at them. If I can put the shot where it needs to be around 250 or less it drops them.

Originally Posted By: Vect0rstarHave you ever had any penitration problems shooting them head on?
I have total confidence shooting them head on or broad side. Running away or quartering away there are penetration issues. Also I find shooting any VMax through a lot of brush or tall grass can fragment the bullet before it reaches them. Hitting them too low is another issue, especially if they are really close and you don't aim high for offset.

I know a lot of people have issues with VMaxs not penetrating enough. Very seldom have I had a 40gr. pass through and exit. A lot of times they splash on impact leaving a golf ball sized hole that looks like an exit. Seems to me that they are absorbing all the energy from the shot, instead of losing some with the bullet when it passes through. I have confidence that if the bullet splashes on their shoulder and it's not to far back or low they don't go anywhere. I hunt with 55 & 60 gr and they pass through, I have also hunted with SP and HP and I am still partial to the 40. Cats have thinner skin and they don't splash as much on them, I have had them make a mess of a cat or 2.

If you are saving your coyote fur it is not a friendly round.

Originally Posted By: reloader326Pshaw! Everyone knows you can't kill coyotes with a .223, LOL.

How long is the barrel on that rifle?

lol.gif
lol.gif

Its 26.. ran a suppressor on it and it was just too long
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: reloader326Wow, any longer and you’d need to buy a Texas hunting license!
Have you chrono’d those 40’s

Nope but I think they go pretty fast
tongue_smilie.gif

Back