Wet opener

weekender

We woke up on opening morning to find the 100% rain forecast to be spot on. Heavy rain, lightening and thunder had us hanging in the camper on our SC lease. We did manage to get going about 8:00 and ran into a flock of 10 or so turkeys just shy of our intended set. They saw us first so you know how that went. My wife and I hunt some together and some apart. For the first day we sat at a large oak, her facing one way me the other. We had a lot of gobbling, 4 different birds throughout the day but 65 yds was as close as one got to us. Some gobbled more than a 100 times but all had hens and none wanted to break away.
The 2nd day was a complete wash out with rain and wind all day.
Day 3 turned clear and cold with heavy frost. We had one come to the same spot and hang at 65 yds. His 4 hens were following him which is unusual. About noon my wife decided to try a different spot and I stayed put. Around 3 PM I had one answer my glass slate from around 100 yds 2 times. Not long after I see 2 red heads coming. The strutter got to 30 yds and #6 heavy shot done what I hope it would. At the shot about a dozen turkeys scattered, I had not seen the rest due to a mound of dirt blocking my view in that direction.

10" beard 1 3/8" spur didn't have my scale to weigh him.

BCEthaW.jpg

TDbwhAw.jpg

Who can tell me what is about to happen in this next pic?

AEjYaWM.jpg

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

That's a nice turkey. At least a 3 year old, maybe 4. Congrats, just proves that us old farts can still get it done.
Our season opens 04/14.

Originally Posted By: GCGreat hooks!

Yep, those suckers would skin up your shin bones!!
grin.gif

If you ever want to get rid of that old pot call let me know.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: weekender

Who can tell me what is about to happen in this next pic?

Not on a family website!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWay cool, week. Congrats. Did the other half of the dynamic duo get one as well?

Not yet, but don't bet a dime against her either. She got a new custom made box call for Christmas and she can "play" it. She does the most damage with her homemade bone call though.

Back