How many using Hornady 55gr. spire points in .223 and how do they perform??

StevenF

Several years ago I had an AR and my hand loads were made with cheap 55 grain remington hollow point bullets purchased at Midway. I recall paying somewhere around 7 bucks a hundred for the bullets. Now I've got another AR ordered and will be feeding it handloads but when I researched the bullets and prices I see that the little cheap remington bullets ain't as good a buy as they used to be. I ended up ordering some Hornady 55 grain spire points and I know there are several on here that use them. I'm just wondering what kind of terminal performance you're getting out of them. Do you get exit wounds consistently? I'm really not looking for exits. My initial loads will be made using Varget with the above bullets and not sure on brass yet. I thought I had a truck load of it still under my loading bench but I can't find it so I'll probably have to buy some.

Of course every place is out of stock on anything that I am looking for so I'm playing the waiting game. Probably at least two weeks for the bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Six weeks for the gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif and can't even find any of the cheap Winchester white box ammo anywhere. I was going to use the white box to sight. Maybe I'll find some before the gun gets here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Guess I ought to say what I'm using them for huh? Mostly coyotes and the occasional bobcat.

Last edited:
Hornady 55gr SXSP...are hard on the little creatures.

I use the 55's in my 223 Handi-Rifle. I use the 50gr SXSP in my 222.

I shot the bulk Remington 55 gr PSP out of my .223 on both prairie dogs and coyote to say the least they work outstanding. Kills them just as dead as bullets twice their price.

Vmax Hornady 55 grain. out of my 22-250 super accurate and blow BIG hole. out of 223 very accurate and blows pdogs to bits.
My other 22-250 wont shoot em well??? same twist, everything, except lighter contour barrel, even same brand rifles.
I am going to try some Sierra soft points.
Carl

Thanks guys. I just checked my order to make sure which ones I have coming. They are the Hornady 55gr Spire point with cannelure. Figured I might be crimping with the AR. I'm hoping they aren't going to blow giant holes. I guess if they do I'll go back to the Remington hollow points.

StevenF,
What you ordered are not the SXSP's which stands for Super Xplosive Soft (or Spire) Point. These are a very fragile bullet that blows up small critter very well. I use them for coyotes, too, as our region is populated enough to be concerned about richocets and I want any errant bullet to blow up on fur or dirt. These work well on coyotes as long as you stay away from the shoulder bones. In fleshy area such as necks they can blow a pretty big hole. A broadside on a coyote last Monday was picture perfect with a small exit hole.
The SP's you ordered are stronger contrustion which should not explode and fragment the same as the SXSP's do. I would expect them to punch on through. I don't crimp when loading for my AR and don't see a reason to, either, so the cannelure is an unnecessary air drag in MHO.

I can't really comment on the terminal performance, I haven't had the opportunity to hunt with them yet, but they are very accurate, and at a very reasonable price when bought in bulk.

This is the exact bullet you are talking about, 5 shots at 100 yds out of my AR-15.

73591530.jpg

I really wasn't sure and to be honest I can't remember if I crimped with the remington bullets or not and I can't find my notes. I know they did have the cannelure. I do prefer to not crimp and right now the only loads I crimp are for my two marlin lever guns. So I've been doing some studying on the subject of crimping for the AR and some say absolutely some say no need. That's a nice group wingman, I hope mine will punch holes like that.

I know the 62 grain fmj shoot good in my Ruger AR 556, but I am also considering moving on to the 55 grain sp so I can use it for coyote and woodchuck hunting. Hopefully they will shoot good with the fast 1 in 8 twist rate of the Ruger?

I use the Hornady 50 gr SX in my RR ar (1-9). I only have exits when I get out past 250 yards. I run them as fast as possible. No crimps.

Last edited:
I don't know of any that I've shot broadside with any SP that didn't exit. I can't recall ever tearing one up extremely bad though off the top of my head. The last one I shot with a SP went through one ear and out the other. And somehow managed to break its jaw in the process of it all. They'll darn sure lay a coyote out that I do know.

Last edited:
ive used the 55gr Hornady SP on everything from groundhogs to whitetails, ne er been disappointed...was more than impressed with performance on whitetails.

I shoot a Savage .223 10LE2A with the old Choate Police Sniper Stock. I use Winchester 55 Grn Soft Points and they hit hard. Pounded a young Coyote at about a hundred yards sitting on his butt looking right at us. Hit him dead center in the chest and the projectile exited out his left side rib cage. DRT. Use them on P-dogs and they explode. Shot a lot of the Hornady's and they do the same thing. Just got a great buy on the Winchester's. 2000 for $120.

Last edited:
Back