6x6.8 or stick with the 6.8

Well I sure appreciate the input guys and it sounds like there’s no reason for me to go heavier than the 55 or 58 gr bullets for coyotes. Being used to the 90 gr in my 6.8 I wasn’t sure how light I wanted to go but flatter is better as long as it puts them down the same especially when it tough to judge the distance. I think you guys have helped me make up my mind on the switch and I’ll probably be getting a hold of Ritch before long.

Gl I don’t know if it helps you any but I’ve been shooting American Eagle 90gr tnt round and box has the velocity at 2990. A friend of mine reloads the same bullet but pushes them a little harder to around 3050 3100 ball park out of 20” barrel I believe but I don’t know the load.

Id like to run that AE across the clock. About the only factory stuff I shoot is rim fire and the odd baseline, rounds,five, if I happen to actually have a non-wildcat.

Greg

I'm pushing 110 accubonds just over 2800 fps out of my 20" ARP Triad barrel. 32.5gr of H335 and .450 primers. It's at the absolute max pressure I feel safe shooting but it drops deer like nothing i have ever shot

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotehunter243I'm pushing 110 accubonds just over 2900 fps out of my 20" ARP Triad barrel. 34gr of H335 and .450 primers. It's at the absolute max pressure I feel safe shooting but it drops deer like nothing i have ever shot

That's from a 6.8? Thanks. Dan

I edited my previous post after I went and looked at my target with the info on it. Yes that's from my 6.8. I took the data directly from the man who owns ARP. I worked up to it last winter and that's my hunting load. The brass was the old factory loaded Tactical Ammo 6x6.8 cases and have had slight pocket loosening after 3 loads. Shot the same load thru my buddies 18" black hole barrel as well
My speed were recorded with a Magnetoo

Last edited:
That's a bit more realistic on the numbers. I ran it through QL for grins and it was interesting. Western Powder lists some pretty good stuff too but it won't quite hit those speeds with a top a bit over 2700 and they are right in the 58,000 load level.

That old SSA stuff is tough as nails. The new stuff would be dying quickly if you use it.

Greg

Originally Posted By: DholsappleWell I sure appreciate the input guys and it sounds like there’s no reason for me to go heavier than the 55 or 58 gr bullets for coyotes. Being used to the 90 gr in my 6.8 I wasn’t sure how light I wanted to go but flatter is better as long as it puts them down the same especially when it tough to judge the distance. I think you guys have helped me make up my mind on the switch and I’ll probably be getting a hold of Ritch before long.

Gl I don’t know if it helps you any but I’ve been shooting American Eagle 90gr tnt round and box has the velocity at 2990. A friend of mine reloads the same bullet but pushes them a little harder to around 3050 3100 ball park out of 20” barrel I believe but I don’t know the load.

We havent had good luck with the 90gr TNT in 6.8s. They shoot good but dont cause much damage on coyotes 200+ Yards.
Now for a beaver or armadillo under 50 yards they are nasty.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanOriginally Posted By: DholsappleWell I sure appreciate the input guys and it sounds like there’s no reason for me to go heavier than the 55 or 58 gr bullets for coyotes. Being used to the 90 gr in my 6.8 I wasn’t sure how light I wanted to go but flatter is better as long as it puts them down the same especially when it tough to judge the distance. I think you guys have helped me make up my mind on the switch and I’ll probably be getting a hold of Ritch before long.

We havent had good luck with the 90gr TNT in 6.8s. They shoot good but dont cause much damage on coyotes 200+ Yards.
Now for a beaver or armadillo under 50 yards they are nasty.

An armadillo would be quite the visual!!

Greg

Noniessel, it seems our experience is different on the tnt bullet. I don’t have any complaints on the accuracy or the lethality of them I’m just looking to change calibers for something flatter. If you hit the front half of the coyotes it generally never takes a step. Did go thru a spell of shooting for center mass that left a lot of runners but I suppose with any bullet in any caliber you’ll have that with gut shots as a coyote is a pretty stinking tough animal. Generally though if I put it where I wanted then there was a little blood in the entrance and no exit so quite fur friendly. That’s just my oppinoin from what I saw though so take
It for what it’s worth. The gut shots generally always had a pretty good sized exit.

Last edited:
If it wasn't so bloody I'd post a picture of one that was gutshot with the 90 TNT. Shot it in a wheat field, as i dragged it out the guts were bouncing off my leg.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorNever had a 6.8 but based on ballistic reports I read and on what I get from my 6x6.8 its my opinion that the 6.8 should have been a 6mm to start with.

If longer is not a hindrance, go longer. My 22in will do 58s at 3550fps, 70s are 3350.

The original 6.8 was initially developed for close quarters to 300 yards combat with 16" and under barrels for its nock down power with FMJ type ammo. If it had been offered up based on a 6 mm bullet and 30 cal brass we probably wouldn't have the option for either today.

I have been very intrigued about biulding a 6x6.8 to play with because of my addiction for biulding black rifles but if I could only pick one for defense, yotes, hogs and deer then it would definately be the 6.8 spc ll.

That being said to answer the question of the original poster. If it was going to be a designated Yote slayer based on what if seen ballistic wise the 6x6.8 should slam them and is probably what I would go with in at least a 20 incher or longer.

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjAnother Illinois guy here. The 6x6.8 hammers them. Even on gut shots. I started by using 75s which puts them down. Moved to 58s for the flatter trajectory and 2 out of the 3 shot with 58s did not take a step. The 3rd one was shot in the hips and it looked like it was shot with a 12ga at point blank. I will be sticking with 58s.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...646#Post3103646

I have shot between 500-1000 coyotes with 58 vmaxs out of a 6WOA. It is very simlar to 6x6.8. I still believe there are too many runners with this bullet. Some hits you can't find a blood spot and on some hits, huge entrance and some exit wounds as well. When moving to thermal, I noticed when hits weren't perfect, the load wasn't as devastating as I thought. I tried Sierra 60 hps and they were OK. Going to try some Berger 65 and 69s this summer to see how they work for next hunting season. Don't get me wrong, the 58's fly about as nice as anything I have shot, but just not as many DRTs as I would like.

Has anyone tried the 6mm 55 bts on coyotes. My new BHW 6x6.8 seems to devour them well. I plan on shooting them at coyotes next night season. I have been very impressed with the 22 cal bts.

Keep talking guys. My barrel from Ritch has been on order for 4 weeks and still got a ways to go but I'm taking in all the info and getting everything ready.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI prefer the 55NBT over the 58vmax they just perform better for me

I have yet to have a coyote take a step when hit with the 55NBT over 32gr of 335, .010 off the lands out to 300 yards. But I have less than 100 coyotes with this. I have several other hobbies or the dead pile would be bigger. Less than a dozen with 58 Vmax. the NBT just shoots better in my gun. The 31.5 8208 v max groups great but is 2 inch high and 2 inch right POI compared to all my other loads. I have no reason to use anything other than the Nosler bullets

Back