military crimped primers

use a lee universal decapper. their pin seems to be stout enough to not have any problems punching them out for me.

i have bent a few pins, but it wasnt the fault of the primer - one was on a chunk of berdan brass that snuck in from some range pickup 308, another on a case that didnt get all the way into the shell holder on the progressive and missed the primer hole completely, and i managed to booger up another one - but dont recall the circumstances.

however lee replaces them free of charge, and when i ordered my first replacement i ordered a couple more spares (they're like $3 i think?) so now i have spares if i happen to goof, and when i burn up two of them i just call lee and they ship me two more new ones, no charge.

I'll second the lee universal decapper, I run mine hard and fast on a progressive and it's been reliable even with 308 brass. Some primers you need to wack twice but they all end up coming out. Haven't bent anything as of yet. I run batches of a few hundred at a time, after their decapped I put them in the wet tumble.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneuse a lee universal decapper. their pin seems to be stout enough to not have any problems punching them out for me.

The Sinclair version works great too.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e...-prod38775.aspx

Make sure you start out with the correct pin installed if you expect to decap any brass with .060 flash holes.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Another vote for the Lee. Mine were too big to go in a 20 caliber so I chucked it up in a drill and filed it down so I could decap those prior to tumbling. I just use an arbor press on my Lapua Grendel cases. I wish I had a penny for every crimped 556 I've used it on.

Greg

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Lee universal de-capper. Squirrel Daddy decapping pins. If you break them, I can't help you any further.
grin.gif

I have a set of squirrel daddy roll pin starter punches...they make pretty good stuff.

As to the OP, I just use my standard sizing die. Hornady, Rcbs, never had a problem decapping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorAs to the OP, I just use my standard sizing die. Hornady, Rcbs, never had a problem decapping.

Same here

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Lee universal de-capper. Squirrel Daddy decapping pins. If you break them, I can't help you any further.
grin.gif

I have a set of squirrel daddy roll pin starter punches...they make pretty good stuff.

As to the OP, I just use my standard sizing die. Hornady, Rcbs, never had a problem decapping.

I have a RCBS Partner press set up for decapping duty only. Best $20 yard sale find EVER! And yes...squirrel daddy makes a lot of good stuff.

Back