Any Skeet Shooters?

pyscodog

I started shooting skeet this year. There's 5-6 of us old pharts meet on Wed afternoons and shoot 3-4 rounds. This stuff is addicting. I continue to improve but still don't have it quite figured out but we are having a good time. Learning lots of new swear words and we rib each other a LOT! I even reload my own shells now. YooHoo!!

I love skeet shooting, we also go shoot Sporting Clays and that's a hoot! Anytime on the Range, is a good time on the Range
thumbup1.gif

Our Sportsmen's Club has a single dual Trap and Skeet Range that we shoot at on Thursdays.

The Trap Range has been going since the early 1960s, we just got the Skeet Range put in 2 years ago.

We have more Trap shooters than Skeet shooters. Most of the Trap shooter's don't like to shoot Skeet because you have to lead Skeet targets to hit them.LOL

You can get away with aiming at Trap targets, with Skeet targets you need to shoot at where the targets are going to be.

I started shooting Trap in 1968 and started shooting Skeet in about 1970.

I like to shoot Sporting Clays more than Trap and Skeet but I have to travel farther to get to the Sporting Clays ranges.

Below are some Skeet Station 8 low house targets I took pictures of a while back.
2016-05-11 16.23.49-5 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
2016-05-11 16.23.49-6 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
2016-05-11 16.22.16-5 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
2016-05-11 16.22.16-6 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
What is interesting about all the Low House Station 8 pictures I took you can see that the shot is in front of the targets a little. When I shoot Station 8 Targets I move my gun quickly and pull the trigger as soon as I get on the target. So I don't see any lead in front of the target. But with my gun moving pretty fast by the time it takes me to pull the trigger my shotgun has moved in front of the target just a little bit.

How far do you want to go with this "crack addiction"? I started shooting skeet 4 years ago and now have too many O/U's,reloaders,glasses,and more gear than I care to confess. But it is an amazing journey to try and get to the top! Most people don't understand how hard it is to maintain your composure and focus to shoot 25-50-75-or 100 in a row.
Believe it or not dropping just one or two targets in a weekend can make the difference between making the show and going home...................

Great pic derby. I average between 20 and 22 birds per round on a good day. I'm a long ways from being a competitive shooter but I really am enjoying the sport. We have a wobble trap field as well as two skeet fields. The wobble trap field throws birds in a figure 8 pattern. Its fun to shoot also and not as hard as skeet as the birds are going away from you.

I like shooting trap...I think. I honestly don't know the difference between skeet,trap or sporting clays. I like shooting clay pigeons lets just put it that way since I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a skeet, sporting clays and five stand guy. I'll shoot the occasional round of trap but don't enjoy it nearly as much as I do the other shotgun sports.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI like shooting trap...I think. I honestly don't know the difference between skeet,trap or sporting clays. I like shooting clay pigeons lets just put it that way since I don't know what I'm talking about.

This is the simple description:

Trap the clay goes away from you

Skeet the clay goes from right to left or left to right

Sporting Clays, the clays go between trees/on the ground/right to left/ away from you or anything else they can conjure up.. LOL

Last edited:
I shot International Skeet for many years and trap even longer. After my cataract surgery I had double vision for a couple of years and lost the edge for international skeet. I still enjoy a round of skeet whenever I can and shoot five stand and SC when ever also. the only time I shoot trap is to check out a heavily choked shotgun for function.

International skeet;
Shot from the low gun position with the toe of the stock touching the point of your hip, random release with up to a three second delay and the gun cannot be mounted until the bird clears the house, birds are faster and travel 15 yards further than standard skeet.

Guess I won't be doing any of that. I have enough trouble with standard skeet. Ever notice how the birds look so slow till your on the pad? LOL I think they speed the machine up when its my turn. LOL

Haven't done it since I was younger, but it's something I'm currently looking into. I see at it as a way to improve my shotgun shooting skills in the off-season, and it's darn fun from what I remember.

We use to have a bunch of guys show up on the week-end and shoot rifles. Seems the last couple of years, no one is coming out. Most times I shoot alone. Several of my friends shoot skeet at the club and there is always someone out at the club shooting skeet so I have started shooting more skeet. I still enjoy my rifles but get tired of shooting alone all the time. And I figure it will help my shotgun shooting when dove season rolls around.

I love skeet. It has really improved my wingshooting come hunting season. Google the todd bender cheat sheet and print a couple out. Following it carefully when shooting and I bet you pick up a few more birds...

It can be very addicting. I used to shoot close to a thousand rounds any given week during the season between skeet and trap. Skeet was more fun for me. I'd agree that running a hundred of 16yd trap might be easier than going straight on skeet for a beginner. But from the 27yd line the boys get cut out quickly. Same as in skeet when using a .410.
Any how as long as you're having fun don't worry about the score. I can tell you one thing for sure, it's not going to hurt your performance in the field.

Last edited:
I usually shoot a 12 gauge Citori but bought a Browning Medallion BPS 20 gauge and for grins tried a few rounds with it. Man its stiff from being new and that cost me a few birds but my main problem was forgetting to PUMP!! DUH! We all got a few laughs from that for sure.

Every Wednesday 5 of us get together on the half circle. first round any gun, second is the sub gauge round and the third round we shoot doubles all the way around.

Back