22-243 Middlestead

newmexkid

Got a Savage Model 12 and I want to throw some money at it and have a pre fit 22-243 Middlestead spun for it. Wanted one for a long time so, I'm gonna do it. Need some opinions on the twist I should get for 60-80 grain bullets. Also my understanding, just run a .243 brass in a 22-243 die and out pops a 22-243 case!?

My buddy has a 22-243ai. First barrel was shot out in 700 rounds and actually sooner but that's when he spun it off. He wanted speed, and with the lighter bullets 55s,60 and 65s my 22-250ai's shot them almost as fast or faster with about 10g less powder. He needed to clean every 15 shots MAX to maintain any sort of accuracy. And it had carbon fouled so bad that at one point it was destroying the jackets on the bullets. At 100 yards the target was actually full of shrapnel. His first barrel was a rude awaking and his second barrel is to much work to keep it clean for his need. A good day of coyote hunting and there isn't time to stop and clean the barrel. I think the case is probably better suited for the heavier bullets and the slower powders and probably have less problems.

Brass prep you can just run the. 243 brass into the 22-243 die but you might have some crazy runout and neck thickness issues. But maybe not. We turned the necks, sized them down in stages with bushings and turned again. To eliminate run out for the best accuracy out of his build. It will also needto be fire formed afterthe neckis seized down.

Like ackleyman suggested look before you leap. After dealing with his over the last two years its not a caliber for me. But i know others love theirs and that's why he had chosen to build it. But i also know he's building a 22-250ai because it's a much easier and less time consuming case to deal with and with his lifestyle, he doesn't have the time.

Good luck with your middlestead. And hope it's easierto load for than the AI

Last edited:
I did some poking around the 'net today and read a lot on the Middlestead. I pretty sure I'm gonna go against my long want of one. Thanks all.

Save yourself all that fun and just get a 220swift 1-12 load 40 and 45gr pills.
It will turn your targets into pink mist and burn out barrels just fine.
Just ask Rusty about the swift.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Save yourself all that fun and just get a 220swift 1-12 load 40 and 45gr pills.
It will turn your targets into pink mist and burn out barrels just fine.
Just ask Rusty about the swift.

Oh yeah. A big favorite with me. Has been for over 40 years now. And yes, they will toast a barrel just fine. I dont ever load mine to max anymore but I get them right up there. A 50 grain bullet at 3850-3900 is plenty for me. Never had a prairie dog complain.

Just got a call from a buddy less than an hour ago and wants to know if I want to shoot some rock chucks with him. Well duuuuuuuuuh! Dang right! Guess what gun I'm going to take with me? Yup. I have to bring that one along. Rock chucks and .220 Swifts are the combo they are.

Back