Help me out with scoping my AR15

For me having a side focus or adj obj is more important than power, within reason of course. Lower power good glass beats hi power poor glass every time.

Boarmaster,a good place to be. Having a nice selection of scopes and not needing to buy new.
My favorite scope for your situation was a bushnell elite 4200 2.5-10 . I do like the guys thoughts on lower end mag scopes you have. It brings back a time not long ago when I was zeroing my scope on an ar15 223 ,after some load work was complete.I was shooting at the 200 target, shot 3 5 shot groups .I was very impressed with my groupings . Anyway the thing was , I had not zoomed in my scope, (it was still on 4.5) . It is a 4.5-14 power scope
wink.gif

Last edited:
I think it will be a learning curve on this property and with the AR. One thing I have learned at age 55 on hunting and fishing gear is not to handicap or diminish yourself on 90% of what you do for the chance at the 10%. im trying out this AR thing but in the end I might find I will use a fast handling bolt gun with a mid range scope. But I see a lot of guys here using the AR. So I will give it a go. Thanks for all your time, thoughts and experience.

As far as eyesight and power. If your eyesight is so bad that you can't put the crosshairs on a coyote at 300 yards with 4x it is time to get to the optometrists. I'm 71 have been legally blind without glasses(wore coke bottles from age seven) most of my life. I had cataract surgery about 15 years ago and they corrected my severe nearsightedness with the new lens implants(I now need glasses to read). All through the years(nearly 50) I've been able to hunt with a 4x scope with no problems.

If you need more than 4x to see a coyote at 300 yards you most likely shouldn't be driving as reading signs must be a real problem also.

With glasses, Lasix, lens implants and all the other new corrective procedures you should be able to have your vision fixed.

I see too much shaking over 9 power. I might try 10 power on my next scope just for the versatility but my best shooting is done at 7 or 8 power.
kwg

Originally Posted By: AWSWhen your calling coyotes and 200 yards would be your longest shot FOV is your friend. I hunt out west and my go to scopes are 1-4 and 1.5-6. 300 yards is an easy shot with 4x on the top end. My scopes stay on 1x or 1.5x as there is always time to turn them up, never time to turn them down.

I agree. I've been using a 2x7 Leupold for at least 10 years and have never needed more than 7x even at 300+ yards. The wide FOV at 2x is handy when you get into close quarters like calling in a timber. I usually have it on 2x-4x from the get go and crank it up if needed.

i think the solution, since you have several nice optics to choose from, is to get several qd mounts, or qd rings (Warne or Talley come to mind), then you have the ability to choose a zeroed optic for the occaision....it is an AR afterall, thats what rails are ment for, use 'em lol

Originally Posted By: greengt88i think the solution, since you have several nice optics to choose from, is to get several qd mounts, or qd rings (Warne or Talley come to mind), then you have the ability to choose a zeroed optic for the occaision....it is an AR afterall, thats what rails are ment for, use 'em lol
That exactly what is happening.

Back