HUNTING COYOTES DURING BREEDING SEASON?????

parkerz

so what do we all think? to hunt or not to hunt?? Personally, I go both ways..OOPS!!! I mean, I have motives for both approaches:

1) I DO hunt them to save livestock, to help a rancher--they are generally very appreciative of eradicating what might be next years predators. Often the rancher doesn't realize these coyotes will be replaced in due time,, but we've made a friend
I also hunt them if I have a place that I would like to swing the "balance of nature" back to more quail, pheasants, rabbits, and other more abundent critters that the coyote has deminished

2)I DON'T hunt them on my more obscure agricultural properties and open grounds. Alfalfa, wheat, row crops, and orchards are fun places to hunt and the coyotes don't bother much but the gophers, squirrels, and other small rodents,,..Come early summer when pups start leaving the den I get calls from farmers, who have problem coyotes, that chew thier drip lines for water and cuz it feels good when they're teething

show them one dead coyote and they think you're John Wayne, saving thier world----AND, they "know somebody"

I call and shoot coyotes all year and on all my properties. The only time I let my one go is if it’s 400+ yards out and not working the call.

2 posts in 6.5 years... welcome back?

Originally Posted By: parkerzso what do we all think? to hunt or not to hunt??

hunt them if you want to. dont hunt them if you dont want to.

i could care less and you should care less what anybody else thinks.

why complicate things with such questions?
w00t.gif

well!!! excuse me, Mr "lickthesnot"---why have a forum?

Give me a big "duh" while you're licking

AND---it's guys like "lickthesnot" why I don't post

If I get the opportunity to shoot one I do. Mostly I just shoot at them because they have already seen me. I do have a property that wants them thinned out. So I will try and help him with this. I say hunt them if you want and good hunting! Rudy

Parker, you certainly have a sound game plan. Seeking input is also sound. I PERSONALLY shoot everyone I see, to include badgers, wolves, porcupines, skunks, etc. But all of these creatures in some form or another pose a threat to the livestock I care for.
I would think your farm properties would want a few running to control the rodents, where as the guys like me probably want you to machine gun everyone you see.

Originally Posted By: parkerzwell!!! excuse me, Mr "lickthesnot"---why have a forum?

WOW!!!!

Do you need a nap?

You ask an open forum for opinions and he in return gives one!

In return you reply, which in my opinion is a pretty harsh response!

The "RUT" is a great time to call. You will mostly kill males coming in to female sounds.
Shooting the males will not impact the population much.
when they "Den up" there hard to get to come in to much of anything.

how are the pups gonna get fed if you kill the male? I think, "when they den up" the male will be quite aggressive trying to feed ALL and protect his territory

Originally Posted By: parkerzwell!!! excuse me, Mr "lickthesnot"---why have a forum?

oh my. are you 15? maybe younger? out for spring break? come up with that all by yourself?

so parkerz, you going to hunt coyotes during breeding season or do you need more opinions before you decide?

actually< I must apologize to you MR SLICKERTHANSNOT!! Mr. Poppadopalis pointed my misjudgement out to me,., My bad!!! seems I was sensitive to what I took as a personal affront--
this 69 yer old should know better--especially after being married 3 times
Please accept my apology and "carry on"---

I only hunt them when the fur is prime. I stop hunting sum time round early February and leave em be til the following winter. Rest of the year I uno, parcheesi and sell peanuts.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I only hunt them when the fur is prime. I stop hunting sum time round early February and leave em be til the following winter. Rest of the year I uno, parcheesi and sell peanuts.

After seeing the thread right above this one.......you might want to check your calendar. LOL

Back