New Lyman Bore Scope

baitpile

Just got a new Lyman bore scope. Although the whole concept of being able to see into the bore of my rifles is new to me, I'm pretty impressed with this scope...for the money. This barrel is a factory .22-250 barrel with about 225 rnds down the tube. I did not clean the bore before scoping it...just wanted to test the scope. This rifle shoots sub MOA...but found some things that make you go "beep"!! The throat erosion is a given, but, the other stuff?? Anyway, kind of cool info to have.
Throat erosion.
PICT0003 by jrhranch, on Flickr
About 2" from muzzle.
PICT0002 by jrhranch, on Flickr
About 1" from chamber.
PICT0005 by jrhranch, on Flickr
About 1" from chamber.
PICT0009 by jrhranch, on Flickr
Interesting stuff!!!

Last edited:
Midway has them on sale every so often and I bought one awhile back. I agreee, for the price, they do a pretty good job.

Not sure if they all have this problem or if it's just mine but the light is almost to bright and can sometimes cause a bit of a glare. And, I wish it would work on 17 cal bore size, but other than those two things, it's nice to have.

$174 bones at Optics Planet and FREE shipping, I thought I would try it. I never adjusted the light on mine at all, just used it and it seemed about right. So, I don't know where it was factory adjusted. Haven't got through all the features yet. I think it will be a handy tool to have around.

What I quickly come to realize after getting my Lyman Borescope was, I can't necessarily tell you if a barrel will shoot or not, but I might be able to tell you why a barrel won't shoot.

Of all the factory barrels I've looked down, CZ's are some of the best I've seen, brand new Remingtons most often look terrible and a High Point I checked out for a buddy, just left me shaking my head. When you look at a true high end custom barrel, you can see what your paying for compared to factory stuff.

I believe the biggest value I get from mine, is being able to verify that I've done a good job of cleaning.

Quote:What I quickly come to realize after getting my Lyman Borescope was, I can't necessarily tell you if a barrel will shoot or not, but I might be able to tell you why a barrel won't shoot.

This is exactly right. What I should have said up top was that "this gun on occasion will shoot sub MOA", but far from what I would call dependable, erratic if you will. Now, I think I know what the problem may be...

Last edited:
Quote:I believe the biggest value I get from mine, is being able to verify that I've done a good job of cleaning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This. Plus they will leave you wondering why some barrels do shoot.
shocked.gif

Regards,
hm

Scoping your barrel is a good thing. Sometimes. Someone mentioned high end barrels. Well I finally scoped my "High end barrel" and was horrified. About 11 inches from the crown I found craters. I paid $345 for the blank and $250 to have it chambered. It shoots ok, but now I always have this thing in the back of my brain wondering about those craters. I was happier when I didn't know. On the other hand I bought a barrel already chambered for a A10 in 6.5mm on sale ($229) from another company. It looked like the bullets would shred coming out of the barrel and it shoots .5 MOA . Go figure.

Last edited:
I agree with the statement that the Lyman bore scope cannot tell you
about accuracy, but it's great in telling one about how well the barrel
has been cleaned.

The nicest LOOKING bores I've scoped are on a CZ455 in .22mag and a
RAP in .204. Both bores look to be pristine. The CZ is very accurate
with ammo it likes, but I have yet to find a load for the RAP that will
do better than 5/8".

Then there are the three Savage VLP's and two PacNor .45 barrels, all
stainless, which have small pits in the bore areas the full length of
the barrels. All have shot very small groups ranging from 1/4 to 1/2
inch. Visually, one would think the RAP would outshoot them, but that
just isn't the case.

Remington 783's look pretty good, I am pleasantly surprised!

Things you can see with a bore scope

You can see if a land is gouged out or missing in a spot

if the chamber is throated crooked

Drill marks

Chatter marks on top of the lands

chamber smoothness

Cleaning techniques are very, very obvious!

Inclusions from the foundry, these look like pot holes

powder build up in neck

Powder build up in the throat or a powder ring somewhere in the barrel

Copper streaks on top of and under a layer of powder fouling

Rough throat

drill the flash hole out of a case,insert the case in the chamber, insert the bore scope, look at the end of the neck in the chamber to see how much room you have between the end of the case neck and the neck in the chamber.

You can take pictures with the lyman, store the pictures to compare wear xyz number of rounds down the road.

If you shoot quite a bit, buy a lyman bore scope. The Lyman will never be a purchase you regret.

Last edited:
^^^ Yip, my experience also. Except the drilling the flash hole out, hadn't thought of that one.

I did have to send mine back, the light went out. They sent a new one as it was less than a year old. I got the feeling that if it was 366 days old they would have left me hanging.

Back