17 rem ?

Rhett Steele

I found a SS 17rem mach IV barrel for sale. What is this barrel worth? Is it hard to build a rifle of off of said barrel? Never built a bolt gun. Could a guy get a 223 700 and swap barrels and be good to go?

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleI found a SS 17rem mach IV barrel for sale. What is this barrel worth? Is it hard to build a rifle of off of said barrel? Never built a bolt gun. Could a guy get a 223 700 and swap barrels and be good to go?

Your post is a little confusing because the 17 Remington and 17 Mach IV are two different cartridges.

The bolt face would be the same as a 223 but unless you have the ability to set the headspace yourself, you'll need a gunsmith to set it up for you because it's not quite as simple as unscrewing one barrel and screwing in the other.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleThe barrel says 17 REM mach iv.

Interesting. Perhaps it was originally a .17 Remington that had been set back and re-chambered to Mach IV. Remington called their version of the Mach IV the .17 Fireball so I would hazard a guess that yours was done by a gunsmith somewhere. I have never heard of Mach IV ever referred to as a "REM mach iv" before.

The Mach IV was a fine wildcat. DAA here on the forum I know had at least one for a while. He spoke fondly of it in a couple of his varmint hunting videos.

The 17 Mach IV case is indeed a fine non-SAAMI wildcat and the case itself is almost identical to the 17 Rem FB.

They are so close dimensionally that it takes calipers and not eyes for most people to sort out the differences when they are side by side.

Sometimes custom smiths use whatever name they decide to stamp on a barrel or whatever the customer wants to name non-SAAMI cartridges that the smith chambers a rifle in.

Here is an link from PM that also contains a link to Saubier for additional reading and comparison between the 17M4 and the 17 FB.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=684280

No telling what that thing actually is. If it's a rechambered factory barrel, it could be as simple as screwing it on a 700 and be good to go. If you don't know how to check that it's good by yourself, you would definitely need the assistance of a 'smith though.

I still have that Mach IV Russ and it's still one of my all time favorite rifles (which is why I still have it). It's been bobbed to 19" and threaded for a suppressor now. Super fun. Still bonafide 1/2 MOA. Ground squirrels nightmare. Has killed a pile of coyote too. When the Remington Classic was chambered in .221, in 2002 I think that was, I ordered two of them. Took one and pulled the factory barrel off without even shooting it, had it blueprinted and a 10 twist Lilja #4 in .17 Mach IV fitted. Pillar bedded and free floated the factory walnut stock - I really like the Rem. Classic stock for a field carry rifle.

Kept the other one as a .221. But it had the worst factory chamber in the history of factory chambers. So had it rechambered with a good reamer. Had to cut so much off the back to try and clean up the original chamber, we took it as far as possible while maintaining enough shoulder, still left a tiny bit of the factory chamber not cleaned up. Put a good trigger in it, pillar bedded etc. and that was the most accurate "factory" rifle I have ever owned. Still have the barrel, but the rest of the rifle is long gone.

The .17 Mach IV

Frank-DAA-CO2.jpg

44-1.jpg

That coyote in front is still the biggest one I've ever killed that actually got weighed.

And the Fireball.

ClassicHowl2Yotes.jpg

That's my Higgins howler sitting on the muzzle. Which I still have and is still my all time favorite howler. I think that might have been the first time I howled in a pair.

- DAA

To partially answer your question, I think, regarding using a 700 action for a 17 Mach IV is that it will work as a single shot, but probably not as a repeater. The Mach IV has a pretty short case, and unless there are some modifications done to the magazine and a couple other parts of the action that short case doesn't work well. It 'jumps out' of the magazine before it reaches the feed ramp which can cause problem loading, and on extracting it is known to 'fall off' the bolt head and just drop back down onto the magazine before it clears/ejects from the action unless some work is done to the extractor and ejector. That is probably not the best terms and explanation, but it is how I have experienced and understand the situation. Hope it helps you out.

It is a dandy little varmint cartridge; wicked with a 20 grain bullet on prairie dogs. I have also taken several coyotes with it out to about 225 yards and it has worked great on them. I think you have to shoot it some to really appreciate it.

Edit to add as DAA was posting as I was typing: There were some 700's that were setup for shooting the Fireball cartridges from the factory that are already good to go for the Mach IV case, as DAA has demonstrated. However, I think that something in a standard .223/204 action will have to be tweaked to get to work as a repeater.

Last edited:
^^^^^ why I used a Fireball to build it on. Magazine is setup for the short case and the ejector was clocked differently on those bolts (I have read many times that they aren't, but having owned a pair, I can verify they were). It feeds the stubby little round quite well.

- DAA

Sounds like since the bbl is stamped in a confusing manner, and obviously was rechambered, a smith oughta chk out the chamber, headspacing, etc. As mentioned above, the mag follower and ejector placement in the bolt face were changed to aid in the efficient handling of the shorter round. Sounds like it may be a 17 Rem that was rechambered to Mach IV, but who knows till you ck it out. Price-wise? What you wanna pay. I wouldn't go over $100 myself, and probably not that if I cant ck out the chamber cut and headspace myself first. Moving an extractor isnt gonna be free, and most guys had issues without doing that on factory SA 700's.

If it's 17Rem barrel that was rechambered and stamped MK IV which I'd bet it is you might be able to see a difference in the stamping.
As much as I like the Fireball based chamberings I wouldn't pay over $50 TOPS for it.

Like Dave my 17FB's my favorite rifle but I built mine on a CZ 527 action to avoid the possibility of feeding/extraction problems....well that and the fact that I like CZ rifles.

Here's a pic of mine with my 17Rem Classic which was my favorite until the FB made it's debut.

723XvnMl.jpg

Nice looking rigs there, Charlie. My M700 .17 Remington also has blued action with a SS barrel as does my 527 in .221 Furball. I think they look good like that.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleHe's asking $30 for it, but as of now won't ship it.

For $30 plus shipping for a stainless barrel, I'd roll the dice unless he's asking $100 to ship it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Once you get it, take it to a good gunsmith and find out what you have both in terms of chamber and quality. Being out maybe $50 is not a big deal, and I doubt you'll be out anything.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Rhett SteeleHe's asking $30 for it, but as of now won't ship it.

For $30 plus shipping for a stainless barrel, I'd roll the dice unless he's asking $100 to ship it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Once you get it, take it to a good gunsmith and find out what you have both in terms of chamber and quality. Being out maybe $50 is not a big deal, and I doubt you'll be out anything.

X2! Thirty bucks plus a few dollars shipping, it'd be worth taking a chance.

Worst case scenario, you make a jack handle out of it or do like a gunsmith friend of mine did and bend it into one of those triangle dinner bell things.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleHe's asking $30 for it, but as of now won't ship it.

Must not want to sell it very bad if he won't ship.

Originally Posted By: DAA^^^^^ why I used a Fireball to build it on. Magazine is setup for the short case and the ejector was clocked differently on those bolts (I have read many times that they aren't, but having owned a pair, I can verify they were). It feeds the stubby little round quite well.

- DAA

I believe you. I don't know about the earlier 221FB's but my buddy's M7 CDL in 17FB definitely has the ejector clocked. Seen it with my own eyeballs. It still has the occasional problem though....not often but enough to be annoying.

Originally Posted By: DAANo telling what that thing actually is. If it's a rechambered factory barrel, it could be as simple as screwing it on a 700 and be good to go. If you don't know how to check that it's good by yourself, you would definitely need the assistance of a 'smith though.

I still have that Mach IV Russ and it's still one of my all time favorite rifles (which is why I still have it). It's been bobbed to 19" and threaded for a suppressor now. Super fun. Still bonafide 1/2 MOA. Ground squirrels nightmare. Has killed a pile of coyote too. When the Remington Classic was chambered in .221, in 2002 I think that was, I ordered two of them. Took one and pulled the factory barrel off without even shooting it, had it blueprinted and a 10 twist Lilja #4 in .17 Mach IV fitted. Pillar bedded and free floated the factory walnut stock - I really like the Rem. Classic stock for a field carry rifle.

Kept the other one as a .221. But it had the worst factory chamber in the history of factory chambers. So had it rechambered with a good reamer. Had to cut so much off the back to try and clean up the original chamber, we took it as far as possible while maintaining enough shoulder, still left a tiny bit of the factory chamber not cleaned up. Put a good trigger in it, pillar bedded etc. and that was the most accurate "factory" rifle I have ever owned. Still have the barrel, but the rest of the rifle is long gone.

The .17 Mach IV

Frank-DAA-CO2.jpg

44-1.jpg

That coyote in front is still the biggest one I've ever killed that actually got weighed.

And the Fireball.

ClassicHowl2Yotes.jpg

That's my Higgins howler sitting on the muzzle. Which I still have and is still my all time favorite howler. I think that might have been the first time I howled in a pair.

- DAA

aren't those old pictures cool? its like a time capsule in so many ways. So many things about the gear and equipment I ran at a given point in time brings back so many memories. I am sure you are the same way, which you see old pics like this. everything from the vehicle you were driving at the time, to the callers,rifles, scopes etc.

I remember when you were selling that 221 years ago. I should have bought the dam thing.

Back