annealing shotgun shells

SlickerThanSnot

after reading all the posts concerning annealing and all the advantages of it, figured i should be doing my shot shells.

i think it is going to work out great! should get a dozen or more loadings out of these annealed shells. might have to make me a machine to speed up the process.

DSC02099.jpg

It's not about the extended life, but from what I hear, it automatically improves accuracy! But I guess if you are doing something to cause your crimps to start tattering, maybe you'll get increased life to along with the better accuracy. Man, talk about a win win!

You ought to just break down and buy a machine to do it. But not for speed! With all those benefits, you're a fool not to be doing it but you need the machine because it is the only way it can be done properly.

- DAA

I'm going to have to give this a try! Do you have to use a troch or will a lighter work? Wonder if I can stretch them out to 3" while I'm at it?

obviously you skipped on using the suggested Templac. Obvious to me that you used too much heat. You need to stop before you get yourself, or worse yet, someone else hurt.
rolleyes.gif

Obviously, you used a torch based on the black coloring on the base, a sure indication of overheating. You will get much better results by placing head of case flat on an electric hotplate and remove as soon as the base barely turns blue....NOT black.

Regards,
hm

Good grief what is wrong with you Slick???

You are supposed to anneal the NECK not the base! No wonder you can't hold moa!

Try it again and get it RIGHT this time.....

and post the "how to" video for all the mall ninjas...

I think if you held it upside down you could make the 2 3/4" into 3" maybe even 3 1/2" but if you held the 3" or 3 1/2" right side up there's a good chance the necks will be to thick and you would have to turn them you know ... Case forming 101

You did it all wrong... Your supposed to put them in a pan of water where the heat will only migrate to the shoulder. Looks like you held them in the heat too long and made them too soft. Probably took the zinc out of them.

Back