boyds adjustable combs?

ohihunter2014

Does anyone here have the boyds stock with the adjustable comb? Not talking about the AT one just a normal classic, PH or pro varmint? I think i'm settled on a classic for my rifle but would like an adjustable comb. I didn't see it offered on their site so i emailed them to see if its still available.

A friend bought the tactical with the adjustable comb. He said it wasn't worth the money. No problems with it and it looks good, just didn't really seem to need it. Everyone is different though, others may see the need if the scope sets high in the mounts.

The Pro Varmint has a pretty high comb to start with, probably the highest comb height of any of the Boyds stocks, but if you have a need for one with their adj. comb I know you can get the Pro Varmint with their adj. comb because I put one on my dad's Ruger 77/17 HMR.

I have the standard Pro Varmint on my Sav. HB Bmag and I put a adj. Pro Varmint on his 77/17 HMR. Shooting from a bench or prone they are great but if you're looking for a walk around spot and stalk setup, I'm not sure the Pro Varmint would be the best choice.

If you'd like to see what either looks like PM me your number and I'll text you a picture or both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogA friend bought the tactical with the adjustable comb. He said it wasn't worth the money. No problems with it and it looks good, just didn't really seem to need it. Everyone is different though, others may see the need if the scope sets high in the mounts.

I'm just brain storming now. Its wearing high burris signature rings now because anything lower hits the ocular but i got an MOA rail and its supposed to eliminate that issue so i can go mediums. I have a set of mediums im going to try and see if they work and if they do i might be able to get the cheek weld i need.

Originally Posted By: B23The Pro Varmint has a pretty high comb to start with, probably the highest comb height of any of the Boyds stocks, but if you have a need for one with their adj. comb I know you can get the Pro Varmint with their adj. comb because I put one on my dad's Ruger 77/17 HMR.

I have the standard Pro Varmint on my Sav. HB Bmag and I put a adj. Pro Varmint on his 77/17 HMR. Shooting from a bench or prone they are great but if you're looking for a walk around spot and stalk setup, I'm not sure the Pro Varmint would be the best choice.

If you'd like to see what either looks like PM me your number and I'll text you a picture or both.

I cant seem to warm up to the PV for some reason. I think the grip it too fat and the vertical thing is a little weird for me so right now im leaning towards the classic.

I recently replaced my Savage 12FV's stock with a Pro Varmint. I'm happy with the stock and I'm glad I optioned in the adjustable comb, so I can make adjustments as needed. But I'd echo B23's sentiments: it has a rather high comb to start and I would never put it on anything but a bench gun.

Originally Posted By: MatlockI recently replaced my Savage 12FV's stock with a Pro Varmint. I'm happy with the stock and I'm glad I optioned in the adjustable comb, so I can make adjustments as needed. But I'd echo B23's sentiments: it has a rather high comb to start and I would never put it on anything but a bench gun.

Everyone is different so such things as LOP and cheek weld will be
different from one person to another.

I have the Classic, Prairie Hunter, ProVarmint and a couple others,
one of which was a special run duplicating the factory stock for the
Rem788. The higher comb of the ProVarmint is perfect for me using the
Burris Signature medium rings, both for bench and hunting. It has
become my favorite stock. If I restock another rifle, that's what's
going on it.

I like the Pro Varmint but I like the vertical grip. I also run the smaller objectives on my scopes so high rings are very seldom if ever used.

I bought a PV 2 years back and opted for the adjustable comb and really glad i made that decision. Very comfortable to me, but i hate floating my cheek.

Vertical grips and large grips encourage proper hand placement. If you're wrapping your thumb around it, I can see why you'd not like those attributes. Thumbs up shooting is more consistent and typically accurate.

Back