6.8 SPC 2 Hog Bullets

6mm06

I asked about the 6.8 SPC a couple of years ago, but thought I would revisit for any updated information anyone might have regarding bullets for hogs, deer and coyotes, powders etc. Appreciate thoughts on anything you might wish to add about the cartridge and how to get the most from it.

My son recently ordered an AR Performance 18" barrel and various things to build an upper. We mainly want it for hogs, but it most likely will also see some use on deer and coyotes.

Lots of guys who hunt hogs with the 6.8 are using Hornady 120 SST with great results. It's the most popular since they're fairly inexpensive and hammers hogs with authority. Other popular bullets include Barnes 95gr TTSX, 110 Accubond, CavityBack 105/120gr MKZ bullets, Federal Fusion and other bonded/ monolithic bullets.

Check out 68forums for lots of hog shooting info.

You can't go wrong with an ARP Barrel, when I go hog hunting in Texas I use 120 SST s ...They have been devastating and have worked well

I run an AR15 Performance barrel on my 6.8 and have had good results killing hogs with 110 Grain Nosler Accubonds and 110 grain Barnes TSX.

If you don't want to reload you can catch the SSA Nosler 110 Grain Nosler Accubonds on sale.....

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/...054041750301.do

If you want cheaper ammo that will do the job I have also had good luck with the Federal 90 grain Speer Bonded SP.

https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/1615-speer-gold-dot-6-8-spc-90-grain-bsp.html?affiliates=17889

Last edited:
Gman, thanks. You are the one who put me on to the AR Performance barrels some time back. I didn't forget and suggested those to my son. Looking forward to the 6.8 and some hog hunting, but it will be next year at the earliest. This year's trip is coming soon. We are leaving March 29.

Question: which brass is better, large or small primer? I have seen both advertised.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Gman, thanks. You are the one who put me on to the AR Performance barrels some time back. I didn't forget and suggested those to my son. Looking forward to the 6.8 and some hog hunting, but it will be next year at the earliest. This year's trip is coming soon. We are leaving March 29.

Question: which brass is better, large or small primer? I have seen both advertised.

Small primer is what's used the most. They seem to handle higher pressures the best. S&B, Hornady, SSA and Federal all use small primers. New or once fired are readily available.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanFor reloading
http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/category-s/106.htm

For factory ammo the 120gr SST.

Ive killed a bunch of hogs with the 120 sst. Its a nasty round. The Cavity Back MKZ is a serious round. amazing performance.

When you say "nasty" do you mean expansion, penetration, large wounds etc.?

Are the Cavity Back bullets more like a TSX with great penetration? What are your thoughts of the 105 if you have tried them?

Gman, are the 110 Noslers pretty accurate? I will most likely reload, but I could use the Nosler brass for that after shooting the factory stuff.

Howdy,

I have been hunting with a 6.8mm since 2012. I own rifles with spc & spc II chambers. They work great for hunting deer, coyotes, and hogs.

Right now, my current 6.8 rifle has a WC barrel. It is lighter profile and a spc II chamber. I have been using Hornady factory ammo in the 120 sst.

For reloading, I use primarily Hornady brass because its easy to find. It has small rifle primers. My go to bullet is Hornady 120sst.

I use Re10x + 120 ssts for my 6.8mm spc. I have used a myriad of bullets over the last six years. Here is a list of good ones:

Barnes 85gr TSX, 95gr Ttsx, & 110gr TSX.
Hornady 120 sst.
Nosler Custom Comp 115gr.

I hope your hunting goes well!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanFor reloading
http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/category-s/106.htm
For factory ammo the 120gr SST.
Ive killed a bunch of hogs with the 120 sst. Its a nasty round. The Cavity Back MKZ is a serious round. amazing performance.
When you say "nasty" do you mean expansion, penetration, large wounds etc.?
Are the Cavity Back bullets more like a TSX with great penetration? What are your thoughts of the 105 if you have tried them?

Gman, are the 110 Noslers pretty accurate? I will most likely reload, but I could use the Nosler brass for that after shooting the factory stuff.

I didnt take any pictures of the internals. But this is the bullet recovered from a 240# sow. Its the 105 grain CBB.
aTlF8rC.jpg

I like them better than the barnes. They expand more reliably to a lower velocity. Cause havoc on internal organs and tear up bone without deforming the bullet. Ive tried the 85gr barnes TSX and was disappointed, especially for the price. The 105 CBB still expanded on a decent size buck at 362 yards out of a 12.5" 6.8, and even on coyotes out to 400 yards.

The new Nosler 6.8 brass is hit and miss for me. Some last 10+ firings, others split on the first reload in the body.

Here is a link to some other guys results.
http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/category-s/114.htm

Thanks Tonster, just the kind of information I was looking for.

Nonnieselmann, that is an impressive bullet. How is the accuracy in general?

I loaded it up till i seen pressure during the summer with AA2200 in my 12.5" 6.8 ARP barrel. Backed it down about 1 grain and settled there. Estimated velocity from 200-400 yard drop is 2600FPS.

Ive never chased a smaller group with it but last time i checked my zero at 200 yards it would put 2 in a 3"x3" hot hands and the 3rd round almost touching the edge. So Prolly 2.5-3"? My thermal has 1.5 or 2moa increments also.

Plenty for a deer or coyote at 400 yards
laugh.gif

That 120 SST sure dropped that one, LarryB.

Has anyone used Starline brass and if so, your thoughts about it.

Also, is anyone using the 90 gr. Gold Dot bullet with good results?

Back