Good rifle brand

I have seen several Remington 783's on line for $300 to 325. they seem to have a good reputation and can be ordered from a number of places.

I too would pick savage on a tight budget. Their BMAG has been a notorious lemon, but I would definitely look at a model 12. If you can spend a little more I would get a tikka t3. If you prefer a more classic walnut and blue, a cz 527.

.223 is fine. Just shoot heavier bullets like 55 gr or more to help reliably put em down.

Buy a Savage axis, they are cheaper but they do shoot well.
Later you can upgrade the stock, the triggers are good.
Spend your extra money on a good used Leupold or Weaver scope on ebay.

I own several Remington 700s. Most shoot amazing with reloads. And darn good with factory ammo. Most people that talk negative about them "heard" something bad about them And not experienced anything. So don't be afraid to buy one.

Last edited:
I have two Savage model 10's. 223 Precision Carbine and a 6.5 Creed Predator Hunter. I was lucky to get them used with very few rounds through each. I never considered Savage before I somehow became interested in these two particular models. Both are very accurate don't give me any problems.

As mentioned before the T/C venture is a super nice rifle and every one I've seen has been as accurate or better than my savages without the hunchback look lol. They can usually be found under $400 easily and sometimes under $300. I have one in 204 and I'm impressed.

The howa mini action has a growing fan base and I'm considering including one of them but can only give u second hand advice as I've never fired one.

The Ruger Americans aren't too bad either but the 2 I listed above are the same price and better rifles with much better factory stocks, same goes for the Axis

Originally Posted By: baitpileA T/C Venture in .22-250. This one is even in Iowa
smile.gif

J1-18@175(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr
Good Luck!!

Nice rifle and coyote, that camo pattern is excellent everywhere I've used it

In order, I'd buy:
Savage axis - I have one and it sees the most action. It's light and super accurate.
T/C Compass - I have one in .204 and with the 1 in 10" twist I can shoot the 40 grn projectiles into on small hole
Ruger American - I have on in 7mm-08 and it's really accurate, also light to drag around all day.

Good luck!

Savage centerfire rifles are really tough to beat at "groundhog matches" and different competitions that have a "Factory" class. They work well and shoot excellent. I bought a .243 compact ruger American for my daughter a few years ago and I liked the way it handled and shot so well for a hunting rifle I bought a predator in .308. I liked it so well I bought another predator in .243 and an American in a 22mag as well. I have always been a Remington fan and have several but for the features and accuracy, I like the rugers. The stocks are cheap like all other $400 rifles. I haven't had any reliability issues with any of mine. Last year, my 14yr old and my 8 yr old shared the rifle. 1 would use it 1 day and the other the next. No problems and they killed 5 deer with it last year. Lots of good options out there.

If it were me, id go hit up all the local pawn shops.
Ive found some really good deals in that past few years.

Stevens 200 is by far my favorite rifles.
Ive bought 2 from a pawn shop for $321 out the door for both. One in 243 very low round count, and the other in 25-06 that was brand new, i ended up giving it to my girlfriend.

The .25-06 and Put a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x50 with rings and base for $300. She doesnt have any problems shooting spray paint can tops at 300 yards with a light loaded 100gr SMKs. Deer and Coyotes with 110gr Accubonds.

243 loves 87gr bergers and crows dont stand a chance out to 500 yards.

Ive messed with about 8 or 9 R700s for my buddies and there is quite a difference between them and the last one i bought back in 2008. Latest one was a 300WM Sendero. Thought that was their bread and butter but we couldnt get it to shoot anything worth a flip. Even tried 2 or 3 bases, 2 sets of rings and 2 of my scopes that i know were good. And about 15 different reloads. He ended up sending it back and they said nothing was wrong with it. So it got traded in.

I prefer Savage rifles cause i like to tinker and can change calibers around easily with a $25 bolt head and such.

Last edited:
Back