Ear Protection

jcs271

I really work at protecting my hearing but don't wear ear protection while hunting/calling simply because I really need to hear what is going on around me. I have electronic muffs that work great when shooting on my range but not at all appropriate for the field. I have recently seen these plugs from Surefire that claim to allow for normal conversation yet block out loud noise. They fit inside the ear and no batteries. At about $13 a pair would be just the ticket IF THEY WORK! Anybody have any experience good or bad with these!

https://www.surefire.com/media/wysiwyg/main_site_pdfs/EP3_Sonic_Defenders.pdf

Before suppressors I went through the same thing you are. I have several sets of those and they do work, but only to a degree. They do not allow you to hear unimpeded. They also do not block out all of the "bang". They are far better that NOTHING of course.

I wore my electronic muffs more than these though as the hearing advantage far exceeded the inconvenience.

For me, hearing is paramount. I am blind as can be but I can hear like a bat. I usually hear them before I see them...lol

I don't know how those work but I blame my now useless hearing on a ton of unprotected shooting when I was 10' tall and bullet proof (ie. a lot younger). If I want to hear a turkey gobble or wolf howl now, I have to use hearing aids.

sure looks like a good find that should stay in place.
have never seen all the part terminology of an ear.
Guess you have to get someone to measure the concha bowl to get the correct size.

I use them but fear the damage is already done, to many years of not using them. I think they work pretty good but not as well as muffs. I can still hear people talk with them in.

I used to have a pair, not sure where they ended up. They are plastic plugs with small holes in them with a cap. Close the cap and you get the nrr, open them and you can hear a little better. It's not like having unplugged ears but you hear a little better. I ended up doing the same as I do with corded plugs, right stays in and left is dangling until I'm ready to shoot. But no convenient cord, so they were less convenient to use. They were comfy though.

I have a pair I picked up from academy, they work really well while shooting but they will block out most other noises around you as well. A friend of mine has the walker silencer ear buds he says he can hear everything around him while blocking the noise from a gun shot. They are a bit pricey though

I haven;'t used those but I do wear electronic muffs when hunting. Mine are Peltors, have been using them since the mid 90's

I have too many sets of plain muffs to count. I have a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs as well as a pair of MSR electronic muffs. My hearing means enough to me that I had a pair of custom made electronic ear plugs made. I went to an Audiologist and had impressions made of my ear canals. Now I have enhanced hearing when not shooting, protection when shooting, and the muffs don't hit the stock when trying to shoot. I got the best ones they had at wildear.com

Originally Posted By: southernhoundhnterI have a pair I picked up from academy, they work really well while shooting but they will block out most other noises around you as well. A friend of mine has the walker silencer ear buds he says he can hear everything around him while blocking the noise from a gun shot. They are a bit pricey though

I've used the Walker quad earmuffs for years and like them very much other than they hit the stock on my current (308 Win) coyote rifle which has a barely legal barrel length and LOTS of muzzle blast. Had some further damage to hearing due to the broken seal on right ear a couple of shots, so, bought a set of the new Walker ear buds and they worked equally well as far as amplification and cutting blast.

Unfortunately, I was never able to obtain a good seal in my ear with them in spite of all the different adapters they supply so had to return them and go back to the Quad muffs worn over my hearing aids.

When I was fitted with in-the-ear hearing aids a couple of years ago, I thought they would do double duty as electronic ear plugs since they shut down at any loud noise. Problem was they have a rather large vent/drain channel that allows noise to bypass the plug.

Thank you jcs, your thread motivated me to try to figure out how to block that drain. I just cut up a foam ear plug and stuffed it in the channels with a toothpick. I'll still use the aids/muffs on the range but believe this may allow me to hunt without the additional ear muffs!

Looking forward to a range day to test out the theory.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I just clip a pair of MSR Sordin electronic earmuffs to my belt when I head to the stand. I put them on when I call. And, take them off right afterward.

It works great for handcalling to protect my ears as well as from the gunfire. I think handcalling can be more dangerous to your ears than your gun.

I love the Walkers Razor-X neck worn electronic ear plugs. Give enhanced hearing while giving protection at the shot. Rechargeable and I've been wearing and recharging the same pair for over a year now. Got mine at Midway on sale for as little as 80 bucks I think. Only about 115 otherwise. Check them out. Wound up getting 3 pair for a spare and for my sons when they hunt with me. Have gotten suppressors since but like them so much for the enhanced hearing wear them anyway. Also give pretty decent directional hearing since worn in both ears.

I just recently got a pair of ESP custom electronic plugs and they make the electronic muffs feel like cheap headphones in comparison. The price is not exactly ideal but I figure when compared to the price of hearing aids it's worth it.

I bought a pair of the plugs you are asking about last week and tried them at a match. They aren't what I need with lots of guns going off all day but would probably work good in hunting scenarios. I have never had much luck with the rubber type seals (always preferred foam type) but I am trying to be more proactive in hearing protection for my girls and looking for ways they can still hear while hunting. A friend of mine is using a pair of the black earbud type walker electronic plugs and really likes them. He used them all day at the match and wasn't disappointed at all.

Back