.A Testament.

Infidel 762

Staff member
Coyotes will reject sickly pack members and those with altered appearances, an instinct to help isolate and protect social groups from the spread of disease and parasites. One of the coyotes I killed today was a young female that endured the elements of winter almost completely bald. There is a high probability that she was dispersed from her territory, rejected by her pack and forced into the life of a lone transient. Homeless, lost, cold and hungry with a simple will to live. Some just see a mangy coyote; I see her as a testament to just how much of a survivalist coyote has proven to be.

I looked into her eyes and saw the infectious spread from sarcoptes. When it gets to this stage the loss of vision forces them to become more active during daylight hours.

She earned her days spent living in this world. Nature dealt her a pretty cruel hand… 

Can't stand seeing them with mange. Hate that stuff. I'll seek out coyotes with mange to target them specifically. I have too much respect for them to let them go like that. They really are true survivors. Coyotes,rattlesnakes and feral hogs all have my respect equally. Man has tried to eradicate them for years and years and they're just as prolific now as they ever were. I'll always admire and respect them for that.

I'm sure not everyone will see it that way. Most people hate them with a passion but I don't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerCan't stand seeing them with mange. Hate that stuff. I'll seek out coyotes with mange to target them specifically. I have too much respect for them to let them go like that. They really are true survivors. Coyotes,rattlesnakes and feral hogs all have my respect equally. Man has tried to eradicate them for years and years and they're just as prolific now as they ever were. I'll always admire and respect them for that.

I'm sure not everyone will see it that way. Most people hate them with a passion but I don't.

I agree with this sentiment.

In PA, growing up coyotes were only a western animal. No one had seen one, encountered one in their yard, etcetera. They were here, but not in full force. PA rifle hunters typically mow down everything in the woods with sharp teeth during deer season, and yet, today there are coyotes EVERYWHERE in PA. The eradication is still taking place, but they're thriving like never before.

I tip my hat to the coyote. It's a worthy adversary and I enjoy my failures as much as my accomplishments with these predators.

Some things in life are just hard to look at for me. Mange is one of them. I love hunting but don't like the idea of an animal suffering.

I called and shot one a couple weeks ago like that and it was instantly an ugly target in the scope. It was a huge contrast to the nice one I shot one minute before coming in from a different direction.

Quote:
She earned her days spent living in this world. Nature dealt her a pretty cruel hand…

Isn't that the truth! I've shot a number of bare coyotes, haven't noticed any whose eyes had been affected. I would imagine her days were numbered in that condition.

Regards,
hm

Most of North America used to be populated with wolves, the US Government's eradication methods ousted them to near extinction. Coyote is a survivor, those same methods that took out wolves have not worked on coyotes and he has stepped in to claim the territories vacated by wolf. Wolves could not stay flexible and adapt to changes in their habitat. Coyotes are reclaiming their old natural territory that has been cleared for urbanization. Wolf could not adapt and survive life in a city like his smaller cousin.

As a kid I was taught the only good coyote is a dead coyote. If you would have told my grandpa that you respected a coyote, he would thought it as nonsense. I guess most of the old timers only exposure to coyote was all negative, they never matched wits specifically targeting them with unsuccessful results over and over. They never felt the sense of accomplishment of finally sealing the deal after hunting them as a beginner and not knowing what you are doing. I guess I respect coyotes in general but on an individual basis I will kill them any chance I get.

That mangy one, yeah her days were numbered and I'm sure she was suffering, but I don't think they have the mentality to know they are suffering. Unlike humans who process the idea of being sick, I think they just keep on keeping on.

Quote:Unlike humans who process the idea of being sick, I think they just keep on keeping on.

Hadn't ever thought about it like that, but that probably contributes to their extremely strong will to survive.

Regards,
Clarence

I 100% agree. I have shot 2, 3 legged yotes this year. Both looked normal, until I got up to them. Both looked to have almost been born that way, as there was not even a stub....both were very healthy looking, and seemed to have lived a very normal life..

Back