Shotgun AND Rifle?

Originally Posted By: Chris623Just got an e-mail from the Oklahoma Wildlife Dept. You are absolutely correct, anything over BB size is illegal to use for hunting any animal except Porky Pigs. Shock to me. Don't see how that would be any good on a coyote unless he was within about 50 feet. I don't see me ever learnin' to call one in that close.

With the Winchester Varmint X and Dead Coyote choke combo I use I can drop a coyote at 40 yards pretty easy. The furthest kill I have so far was at 42 yards. In States where I can use it I prefer #4 buck but BB will sure enough kill coyotes.

Bigger isn't always better in my opinion. For example I shot a coyote twice with 3" 00 buckshot some months back and it didn't really perform the way I expected it to. I shot the coyote once in the head at about 35 yards and it immediately started snarling and turning in circles. My next shot hit it in the butt and it didn't change its tune much. The third shot was Federal 2 3/4" #4 buckshot and she dropped in her tracks with a shot to the heart/lungs/...other organs. The 00 buck had made 6 holes in her nose,popped one eye out of socket and one got her in the side of the head. If I'd have hit her with BB shot that would have been a one shot deal I'm almost positive.

I also saw a coyote take 3 rounds of 3" 00 buck in Texas once and get away after a buddy of mine shot it. Not very impressive.

As for calling them in close most of the "shotgun close" coyotes I call in are in places where I can't really see much further than the affective range for a shotgun. If you're calling in fairly tall CRP grass or a wooded area for example,by the time you see a coyote it will be within range to kill with a shotgun more than likely. The terrain or amount of vegetation is what determines what is a shotgun stand and what isn't for me. But I've wished I had a shotgun in fairly open country too though. You really just never know how things are going to play out.

Last edited:
here in Northern California agricultural country I don't like using a rifle, because of the distance the round might travel----I have used my Remington 870 Turkey/Predator 12 gauge, with 3 1/2" Dead Coyote T shot to polish off 30 coyotes at from 5 to 70 yards----what a close calling thrill--even had some come by soooo that we locked eyes(a stare you'll NEVER forget)!!!!

Originally Posted By: btech29
If you think its "cool" to kill one with a shotgun then by all means carry one. If you just want to kill coyotes I think you would be better off just carrying a rifle.

Yep

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerAs for calling them in close most of the "shotgun close" coyotes I call in are in places where I can't really see much further than the affective range for a shotgun. If you're calling in fairly tall CRP grass or a wooded area for example,by the time you see a coyote it will be within range to kill with a shotgun more than likely. The terrain or amount of vegetation is what determines what is a shotgun stand and what isn't for me. But I've wished I had a shotgun in fairly open country too though. You really just never know how things are going to play out.

This exactly
thumbup1.gif

When I'm calling thicker cover, I never know if I'm going to get long shot or close. Other times I'm making multiple stands through a large area and cover will be different at each stand. Sometimes I never see a coyote until he is a 20 yards or he might sit up on a mound at 200 yards. I shoot 1 1/4 oz of NP BB's out of a 2 3/4" 12ga or 1 oz NP BB's out of a 2 1/2" 16ga both work well out to 40 yards. I don't need a lot of reach in my shotgun loads as I always have the rifle barrel just a finger movement away.

I've posted these before.

12ga/22 Savage Highpower

https://imageshack.com/a/img922/1486/UmGSI4.jpg

16ga/16ga/6.5x58R

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1262/mF8Jow.jpg

Last edited:
Back