Boyd's gun stocks

ringmuskie9

Just wanted to give an update. I purchased a Boyd's thumbhole varmint stock to replace by synthetic stock on my Savage 22. I was worried about it fitting. However, it fit just like the factory stock. It was a little tighter but still fit nice. I did buy a better trigger guard and bottom plate to replace the cheap factory ones. If anyone is looking to upgrade their stock I would look at Boyd's.
(I don't have any affiliation with Boyd's just wanted to let people know my experience)

I ordered a Manners for my Tikka T3x in 270 win., that because of the drop of the top of the comb of the stock, makes it kick like a 300 win mag. And much Very unnecessarily so. The factory tikka is made for iron sights. (Which it doesn't even come with).
The reason that I did not choose Boyds or McMillian, is that their top of the comb too is not designed properly, (In my minds eye), to reduce recoil as much as possible, w/o the need of a cheek riser or pad for a clear field of view. The manners I ordered has a comb so high, that the top of the comb is routered out for bolt removal. Why Manners is one of the only custom stock makers to have figured this out is amazing to me. The higher the comb, the less felt recoil.
Why add the need and the weight of an adjustable riser and/or pad to get your eye in the proper position that is necessary for a clear field of view through the scope?
'That's the way we have always have done it, Dang it!!"
smile.gif

Last edited:

One size stock does not fit all.
Stocks are cut for open sights and there are stocks for scoped rifles.
I have had a BOYDS thumb hole stock on my 7mm Rem Mag Browning A-bolt.
Been shooting it for 10 years with a scope, no problems.
10 years ago Boyds stocks came unfinished. So I recut the stock to fit me.
After bedding and 30 coats of finish had a nice stock.
I like to read books. Get a book on stock making and pick the stock you need.

Back